"Nogales, Sonora, Mexico" Top 5 Page for this destination Nogales by Stephen-KarenConn

Nogales Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 61 photos

Nogales is a typical border town, if there is such a thing, about 68 miles south of Tucson, and across the fence from Nogales, Arizona. I was privileged to take a day trip there on the last Sunday in December with Karen, her mother, and daughter - three generations of beautiful women. It's an excellent introduction to Mexico, or at least we thought it was for our daughter, Jennifer, whose only Mexican experience before was a vacation in Cancun - definitely not "typical" of Mexico.

Nogales, Arizona and Nogales, Sonora, Mexico are sisters, each with her own distinct personality, language and culture, although they share a common history. On the Mexican side the streets were full of Americans and Canadians, who come over the border just to experience Mexico, or to do a little shopping. At the same time, in Nogales, Arizona, you will see plenty of Mexican day-trippers, experiencing the U.S.A. by shopping at Wal-Mart or eating at Burger King.

• Pros:Just over an hour from Tucson.
  • Cons:Geared for tourists from north of the border.
  • In a nutshell:A typical border town - but not necessarily typical Mexican.
  • Last visit to Nogales: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 4, 2005

• Oct 27, 2007 at 1:41 PM

I wish I had smuggled a bunch of Cuban cigars back. The guard just looked at my driver's license and then my face and said go ahead. Nogales was great with friendly Mexicans who speak better English than some U.S. Americans.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2006 at 5:20 AM

Verry good tip on El Greco restaurant. Some of your pictures reminds me Tijuana a lot.

• WYLENEoftheWORLD's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2006 at 6:00 PM

I agree with you- if someone is trying to do something for a donation (playing music) I am more inclined to give also! I enjoyed Nogales and people like the one in your picture!

• Jul 21, 2006 at 4:32 PM

I live in Nogales about 9 months of the year. The information and pictures are excellent.

• ferdnbean's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2005 at 3:38 PM

I just might get to use the excellent travel advice from your page this summer. Not looking forward to the heat, though. As always, well and sensitively written!!! Take care. Wayne

• moonlighting's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2005 at 9:58 PM

I truly like your tips on the musicians/beggars and the street vendors. We share the same philosophy about these matters. Regards!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2005 at 10:45 PM

A friend of mine had some dental work done..... now he has dentures!!

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2005 at 8:10 PM

One of my sisters, her husband and nine kids live in Sonora, farther south in an authentic Mexican village where they are missionaries. I hope to visit someday. My time in Mexico is so far limited; thanks for the tips.

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2005 at 7:07 PM

Ah the charms of VT! Being able to glory in the Mexican sun while hunkered down under a blanket of Lake Michigan snow. Muchas gracias!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2005 at 12:48 PM

Mexican towns have a lot of poverty, but at the same time they have a lot of charm too! Nice page indeed!

Badges & Stats in Nogales

Have you been to Nogales?

Latest Activity in Nogales