"Kohunlich: Mayan Ruins deep in a Tropical Jungle" Ruinas Kohunlích by Stephen-KarenConn
Ruinas Kohunlích Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 129 photos
Ruinas Kohunlich is a Mayan Archeological Site which was active from around 600 - 1200 A.D. It lies deep in the tropical jungle at the southeastern corner of Mexico, near the international border with Belize. Kohunlich is a corruption of the name "Cohune Ridge". Cohune is a type of fruiting palm which grows in the area. The earliest modern-day explorers to find Kohunlich called the site "Clarksville," which is how it is referred to in old maps and reports.
This is one of the lesser known Mayan sites and has never been fully investigated. What little archaeological work that has been done, has revealed only a general time frame of occupation. The city apparently rose to prominence in the Early Classic period when there were important ties to the cultures of northern Belize; this has been deduced from the style of the god masks.
The first modern explorer of the city of Kohunlich was an American, Raymond Merwin, who came here in 1912. However, partly due to its hard-to-reach location, it was quickly forgotten about again for another fifty years. It was not until the activities of looters was made known that Mexican authorities were finally prompted to undertake restorational work from the 1960s to the 1980s. Kohunlich has now been designated as a National Park.
Although remote, Kohunlich can now be reached by good new roads. Most visitors, like ourselves, come by way of cruise ship excursions from Puerto Costa Maya, a two hour drive away.
The Palace holds a prominent place between the Western Residential Complex and the Acropolis. This construction was... more travel advice
The Acropolis, the largest structure in Konhulich, was originally a "c" shaped building. It's most notable feature is... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Ruinas Kohunlích Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kohunlich: Mayan Ruins deep in a Tropical Jungle"
- "Kohunlich Mayan Ruins"
- "The Mayan Ruins of KOHUNLICH"
- "a lost maya site...with amazing masks"
- "Ruinas de Kohunlích"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ruinas Kohunlích
- Transportation in Ruinas Kohunlích
- Nightlife in Ruinas Kohunlích
- Warnings and Dangers in Ruinas Kohunlích
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ruinas Kohunlích
- 18 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Ruinas Kohunlích?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ruinas Kohunlích
- Commented on one of Ericasmurf99's Ruinas Kohunlích travel pages
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- updated a Ruinas Kohunlích Travel Page "Kohunlich: Mayan Ruins deep in a Tropical Jungle"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kohunlich: Mayan Ruins deep in a Tropical Jungle"
- Wrote a Review The Palace in Ruinas Kohunlích Things to Do
Photos in Ruinas KohunlíchSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos