"Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Mexico" Piedras Negras by Stephen-KarenConn

Piedras Negras Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 27 photos

Home of the Nacho

Piedras Negras is a small city of about 200,000 people at the northern border of the Mexican state of Coahuila, Mexico. It is sister city to Eagle Pass, Texas, just across the Rio Grande, and it is 441 km north of Saltillo, capital city of Coahuila, via Federal Highway 57

Piedras Negras is known as "La Puerta de Mexico" (Mexico's Door), however I found it to be much less touristy than other border towns I have been to, and a visit there seems much more authentically "Mexican." Piedras Negras is the home of the Nacho, a classic Tex-Mex dish of cheeze and tortilla chips. The area surrounding Piedras Negras is ranchland, and also a popular area for hunting game.

• Last visit to Piedras Negras: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 14, 2005

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2009 at 6:55 AM

interesting to see an alternative ti Tijaana, or however it is spelt

• Mar 13, 2009 at 12:22 PM

On my opinion Stephen-KarenConn not all the people who cross to the U.S go only to the dollar store some people actually have business's & own homes etc. it's wonderful artistic place/the clubs makes you feel alive and glad to be in mexico

• gpicon's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2008 at 5:08 PM

TO: Stephen-KarenConn Just thought you'd like to know ... my hometown is right across the border from Piedras Negras. Please feel free to let me know if I can be of any help to you while I'm down there.

• Apr 16, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Restaurant is no longer called Sam's -- there was some iron grille work that said "Sam's" but it is now called "La Hacienda" -- they didn't serve nachos, but had a very nice lunch/dinner buffet.

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 7:23 AM

Great pages on Austin and Peidras Negras! I saw PN featured on Anthony Bourdain's show No Reservations, and how the Nacho was invented. ~ Helen

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2006 at 5:10 AM

Great presentation of US-Mexico border city. Lucky you to see more authentic and less touristy border towns. I was exclusively in Tijuana as for now.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2006 at 2:02 PM

Nice to learn more about Mexico--we're moving to Texas this summer and hoping to do some traveling there eventually.

• sirenna's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2005 at 8:50 AM

Just dropped by on my virtual travels - nice page. : )

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2005 at 4:44 AM

I had no idea there were so many little Mexican border towns that you can visit.Our Lady of Guadalupe Church is beautiful. Thanks for the info on the nacho. Good stuff Stephen.

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2005 at 12:02 PM

PIEDRAS NEGRAS, we have PEDRAS DE FOGO in the north of Brazil, both Piedras or Pedras seems to be very interesting!

Badges & Stats in Piedras Negras

Have you been to Piedras Negras?