"Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada" Top 5 Page for this destination Dawson by Stephen-KarenConn
Dawson Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 92 photos
Located at the confluence of the Klondike and Yukon Rivers just 165 miles south of the Arctic Circle, Dawson City is a former moose pasture which grew into an instant metropolis of 30,000 to 40,000 souls in the late 19th century. It all began with the discovery of gold on Bonanza Creek and the resulting gold rush of 1898-99. Dawson City became the first territorial capitol of the Yukon Territory, and for a time was largest community west of Winnipeg and north of San Francisco.
Today Dawson City is still an amazing place. It retains much of the look and feel of a century-old gold rush town, with many of its historic buildings beautifully restored. The dirt streets and board sidewalks are much as they were during the heady days of the stampede, when the increase of newcomers created such a high demand for goods and services that almost anything could be had for a price. During this era Dawson City became known as "the Paris of the North."
Today, with a population that has dwindled to about 2,000, Dawson City attracts about 40,000 visitors a year - adventurers of a different kind. It is an extremely alluring destination for those with an interest in the great outdoors, history, or who just want to have an unusual and memorable travel experience. And there's still gold to be found in these hills, too.
The Dawson Historic Complex National Historic Site of Canada consists of about two dozen restored and preserved... more travel advice
Constructed in 1901, this building is among the oldest in the Yukon. Designed by Thomas Fuller, a renowned Canadian... more travel advice
- Yukon and Klondike Rivers
- Klondyke Millennium Trail
- See All Best Deal on Breakfast
- Dawson Discovery Days
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Dawson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada"
- "the heart of the klondike"
- "DAWSON PEARL OF THE YUKON TERRITORIES"
- "Dawson City"
- "Touring Dawson City"
- "Dawson Rocks!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dawson
- Hotels in Dawson
- Transportation in Dawson
- Nightlife in Dawson
- Restaurants in Dawson
- Warnings and Dangers in Dawson
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dawson
- 20 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Dawson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dawson
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- Commented on one of MTrav's Dawson travel pages
- updated a Dawson Travel Page "Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada"
- Wrote a Review Dawson Historic Complex National Historic Site in Dawson Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dawson Historic Complex National Historic Site"
Photos in DawsonSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos