"White River, Ontario, Canada" White River by Stephen-KarenConn

White River Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 9 photos

White River, Ontario, is a community of 1,000 people, located along the Trans-Canada Highway, 3.5 hours north of Sault Ste. Marie and 4 hours east of Thunder Bay. It was established in 1885, as a railroad stop, half way between Winnipeg and Toronto. Set amidst the rugged and picturesque boreal forest of the Canadian Shield, it is also a center for lumbering.

For such a remote small town, White River has two claims to fame. It is one of the coldest spots in North America, with winter temperatures sometimes dipping to less than -60 F (-50 C). More importantly, to us, White River is the birthplace of one of childhood's most endearing characters, Winnie-the-Pooh.

• In a nutshell:A cold little town with a big warm welcome
  • Last visit to White River: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 11, 2006

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2006 at 2:54 PM

What a discovery! My beloved literary character Winnie the Pooh came from White River! The coldest place in Canada? I thought it's somewhere in the Northwest Territories :-)

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2005 at 7:44 PM

They were just getting ready for the big Winnie the Pooh festival when I passed through White River last month.

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2005 at 11:13 AM

I love bears, so much that I went up north to see the polars, and it was awesome, but I really have to say that I am mad about Garfield. LONG LIFE TO THE CATS!:)))))

• truus_s's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2004 at 11:11 AM

Wow nice page..with great photos..Thanks..

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2004 at 1:08 PM

Very interesting writting about Winnie-the-Pooh. I like the page. Thanks!

• smyturn's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2004 at 8:37 PM

Winnie the Pooh and Stephen and Karen match made in heaven. You guys ARE # 1. How many counties (with side trips to Canada)have you enjoyed??

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2004 at 4:43 PM

Winnie-the-Pooh was my daughter's first stuffed animal, and she still has it! What a lovely page. How fortunate for you to be there when you were. I love out-of-the-way places like White River. Thanks for such excellence.

• May 28, 2004 at 4:32 AM

You learn something new every day!! ;~) Jen

• Simonneeddy's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2004 at 7:11 AM

Yes it is famous for being the coldest place in Canada. I did not know aboutb WINNIE- the-Pooh being born there. We often see the story on TV showing the bear, Army Officer and little girl when she named him.

• kazander's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2004 at 10:40 AM

Very cute story! :)

Badges & Stats in White River

Have you been to White River?

Latest Activity in White River