"White River, Ontario, Canada" White River by Stephen-KarenConn
White River Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 9 photos
White River, Ontario, is a community of 1,000 people, located along the Trans-Canada Highway, 3.5 hours north of Sault Ste. Marie and 4 hours east of Thunder Bay. It was established in 1885, as a railroad stop, half way between Winnipeg and Toronto. Set amidst the rugged and picturesque boreal forest of the Canadian Shield, it is also a center for lumbering.
For such a remote small town, White River has two claims to fame. It is one of the coldest spots in North America, with winter temperatures sometimes dipping to less than -60 F (-50 C). More importantly, to us, White River is the birthplace of one of childhood's most endearing characters, Winnie-the-Pooh.
- In a nutshell:A cold little town with a big warm welcome
On the day we stopped in White River, May 11, we were told by the lady at the Visitor Information Centre that she had... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
White River Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "White River, Ontario, Canada"
- "It's Worth the Drive to White River"
- "Pooh's Hometown"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in White River
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (175)
Have you been to White River?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in White River
Photos in White RiverSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos