"Charleston, West Virginia" Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston by Stephen-KarenConn

Charleston Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 188 photos

Charleston, West Virginia is a surprising city, one which manages to exude a big city atmosphere and still maintain its small town charm. It is the capital and largest metropolis in the state of West Virginia, situated at the confluence of the Elk and Kanawha Rivers, and surrounded by lush green mountains.

In addition to being the seat of government for the Mountain State, Charleston is home to West Virginia University, Charleston and is also an industrial city - both the heart and hub of America's coal mining industry. Some of the most decent, hard working and friendly people on earth live in Charleston, West Virginia.

• In a nutshell:Almost Heaven's Capitol City
  • Intro Updated Jul 25, 2008

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2006 at 6:38 AM

Enjoyed this page on Charleston Stephen. This city is rich in culture and history. Great tip on free internet acces in public libraries. Hans & I make use of them often. Double-dipped chocolate covered peanuts - sounds scrumpdillyicious.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2006 at 10:50 AM

Thanks for visiting our Charleston page. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Charleston and wanted to tell you that your tips were very helpful by giving us ideas for things to see and do.

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2006 at 2:51 PM

Nice page! I did think that statue of "Stonewall" Jackson looked a little like Charlie Chaplin! Not sure which of them would have been more offended???

• wvworkman's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2006 at 4:05 PM

Thank you for the wonderful review of Charleston! It's nice to know that non-Charlestonians find it as charming as us life-timers. :)

• danielhades80's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2006 at 9:40 AM

Hi there. I loved your pictures from charleston WV. I look foward to visit that lovely city someday.... Splendid Job guys....

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2005 at 10:21 AM

Well worth a 2nd read. I'd love Charleston. Farmer's market, Greek & Italian restaurants (my favorites), grand architecture, the capitol bldg., and all the monuments and stateues (coal miner my favorite). Splendid job..I think it did steal your heart!

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2005 at 7:12 AM

Hi Stephen, The experience of Captain James Wilson reminds me of the saying "Be careful what you ask for..." I too love chocolate covered peanuts but we have to talk about your lack of interest in BREAD :-O Definitely my weakness. Great job...Tom

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2005 at 4:50 AM

Well written tips Stephen... I have still been anxiously awaiting your impressions of Austin, but I guess there is only so long I can wait!

Badges & Stats in Charleston

Have you been to Charleston?

Latest Activity in Charleston