"Huntsville, Texas: Home of Sam Houston" Top 5 Page for this destination Huntsville by Stephen-KarenConn
Huntsville Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 239 photos
Founded in 1835 by Pleasant Gray, the town of Huntsville grew quickly, with prominent settlers moving here from Alabama, Tennessee and Virginia. From the city's inception, it was considered to be the center of education and law, and was the home of many military leaders, including Sam Houston, during the years of the Republic of Texas.
Today, Huntsville is still home to prominent state institutions, while maintaining its small town charm. Huntsville is 73 miles north of Houston and 176 miles south of Dallas, along I-45.
Founded in 1879, Sam Houston State University is one of the oldest schools in Texas. The 272 acre main campus is near... more travel advice
Huntsville is home of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. There are 8 prison units in the Huntsville vicinity. A... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Huntsville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Huntsville Page"
- "Huntsville, Home of Sam Houston"
- "Huntsville, Texas: Home of Sam Houston"
- "Center of Texas history -- past and present"
- "Search for the perfect BBQ"
- "Sam Houston's Home Town"
- "Huntsville, TX - more than a prison!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Huntsville
- Hotels in Huntsville
- Transportation in Huntsville
- Nightlife in Huntsville
- Restaurants in Huntsville
- Warnings and Dangers in Huntsville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Huntsville
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Huntsville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Huntsville
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- Commented on one of ATXtraveler's Huntsville travel pages
- Wrote a Review Sam Houston State University in Huntsville Favorites
- updated a Huntsville Travel Page "Huntsville, Texas: Home of Sam Houston"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Texas Prison Museum and Prison Driving Tour"
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos