"Fort McKavett, Texas" Fort McKavett by Stephen-KarenConn
Fort McKavett Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 23 photos
Fort McKavett was established in 1852 to protect settlers and travelers on the road between San Antonio and El Paso. The post , built of limestone and wood, was abandoned after only seven years when problems with the Indians decreased in the area. However, raids by Comanches and Apaches again intensified during the War Between the States, and after the war ended Fort McKavett was reactivated in 1869 with black "Buffalo Soliders, " many of them former slaves.
All of four African-American regiments in the U.S. Army were stationed at Fort McKavett during the Indian Wars. These troopers distinguished themselves in over 60 engagements with Indians. There are several versions of how the Buffalo Soliders got their name. The most popular is that the curly hair of the African-American resembled the sacred mane of the buffalo. Another version is that the soliders were seen by the Indians as having the tenacity of the buffalo, refusing to back down if cornered. In either case, the term was one of honor, even though the Buffalo Soliders were adversaries.
Today, Fort McKavett State Historic Site preserves the fort's buildings and ruins and also the memories of the Buffalo Soliders who served there with great valor. It is one of the best preserved and most intact examples of a Texas Indian Wars frontier post.
At the end of Government Road, now a nature trail, you will find Government Spring. This surprising green oasis,... more travel advice
St. James' Episcopal Church at Fort McKavett stands near the Commanding Officers' Quarters. The church appears to be a... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Fort McKavett Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fort McKavett, Texas"
- "Basaic Fort McKavett State Historic Site Page"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Angeles City
- Santa Barbara
- Hershey Hotels
- State of South Australia
- Boscombe Hotels
- Province of Rizal
- Heathrow Hotels
- Giant City State Park Hotels
- Parian Hotels
- Greenpoint Hotels
- Castel San Pietro Terme
- Federated States of Micronesia
Badges & Stats in Fort McKavett
- 19 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Fort McKavett?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort McKavett
Photos in Fort McKavettSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos