"Austin: Capital City of Texas" Top 5 Page for this destination Austin by Stephen-KarenConn

Austin Travel Guide: 1,134 reviews and 1,628 photos

In a state as big as Texas there are several great cities, but none any more alluring than Austin, the Capital of the "Lone Star State."

Austin has a personality that will win you over. It is cosmopolitan, yet unpretentious - a place where you can be yourself, whether you are a sophisticated urbanite, or as country as a hay seed. You'll even see bumper stickers which proclaim: Keep Austin Weird! There's a place for EVERYBODY here.

The people of Austin obviously have a zest for life, and they enjoy showing their town to visitors - who always discover more than they expected.

I was especially fortunate on my last visit to Austin, in February, 2005, that ATXtraveler (aka. Mark) and Saraheg77 (Sarah), who was soon to become his wife, took time off to give me a royal tour. I also met several other VTers - all of them interesting, friendly folks, whom you will meet here in my Austin page.

This was my second time in Austin, the first being about 20 years ago. Still I would love to return - there's so much more of the Texas Capitol I want to experience. Somehow, I feel that I've just scratched the surface.

• Last visit to Austin: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 28, 2007

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2010 at 5:10 AM

Austin is extremely beautiful as illustrated from your high quality images. Tomas Eriksson :)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2008 at 7:18 PM

I'm hoping to make it to Mark's Texas meeting in September and then maybe go onto Austin. Texas BBQ is a MUST!

• Jun 29, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Since moving to Texas in late 2003, I have literally traveled all around the state. Taking this into consideration, I have yet to find a place in the Lone Star State that is even remotely akin to the City of Austin. Definitely a unique place.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Austin is a place that I've always longed to visit. Your virtual tour will have to do in the meantime! Enjoyed Bob Bullock Museum, Governor's Mansion, Capitol, Driskill Hotel [fabulous architecture], clock tower [I remember} and the drinking fountain.

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2007 at 5:35 AM

Austin looks great! hope to see it in my next visit to this huge state! very nice page,info and pics!!

• sswagner's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2007 at 4:28 AM

I grew up in Austin for 9 years. It has really changed over the years from the small city we first discovered. Nice tips--keep them coming!

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2007 at 7:39 PM

I've always wanted to go to Austin; I'll be back later when you've finished your page :o)

• nixca316's Profile Photo