"Gatlinburg: Gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Gatlinburg by Stephen-KarenConn
Gatlinburg Travel Guide: 394 reviews and 662 photos
Most people either love Gatlinburg or they hate it - or both. When I lived and worked in Gatlinburg, I often met visitors who come once or several times a year and think it is the neatest place in the world. Occasionally I encountered first time visitors who expected to find a quaint little out-of-the-way mountain village and were shocked by the congested glare. Gatlinburg is literally within footsteps of the most visited National Park in the United States, and has been in a non-stop boom ever since the formation of the Park, in the 1930s. However, expansion is severely limited by the mountains and surrounding parkland. Not to be deterred, developers just keep tearing down old structures and building bigger and better ones. First the development was to provide accomodations and sell hand-made mountain crafts to visitors to the park. Today, sad to say, many people come for the tourist attractions of Gatlinburg and never give the Park a second look.
Gatlinburg is definitely NOT your typical Appalachian village. It is a small town of just over 3,000 population that draws up to 10 million visitors a year. Take Gatlinburg on its own terms. Enjoy the restaurants, museums, amusements, fudge, and entertainment - knowing that whenever the clamor gets to be too much, you can easily escape into the serene fastness of Eastern America's greatest wilderness area.
- Pros:A fun place: great shops, lodging, and restaruants
- Cons:Crowded, noisy, and totally touristy
- In a nutshell:The Ultimate Mountain Tourist Town
Calhouns of Gatlinburg is one of seven Calhouns restaurants in the area, headquartered in Knoxville, TN. We enjoy the... more travel advice
There are scores of junky shops in Gatlinburg and a handful of very fine ones. Beneath The Smoke is our favorite of all.... more travel advice
- See All Christus Gardens
- A Kazillion Things to Keep You from the...
- Watch for Traffic
- World's Largest Arial Tramway
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Gatlinburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gatlinburg: Gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains"
- "Favorite Vacation Destination"
- "Eva's Gatlinburg Page"
- "Smoky Mountains"
- "Action packed & adventurous town in the Southeast"
- "BurrGump's Great Smoky Mountain Vacation"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gatlinburg
- Hotels in Gatlinburg
- Transportation in Gatlinburg
- Nightlife in Gatlinburg
- Restaurants in Gatlinburg
- Shopping in Gatlinburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Gatlinburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gatlinburg
- 22 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (175)
Have you been to Gatlinburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gatlinburg
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- Commented on one of 807Wheaton's Gatlinburg travel pages
- updated a Gatlinburg Travel Page "Gatlinburg: Gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains"
- Uploaded a Photo to "World's Largest Arial Tramway"
- Wrote a Review "Best Ribs in America" in Gatlinburg Restaurants
Photos in GatlinburgSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos