"Tennessee's Finest: Fall Creek Falls State Park" Fall Creek Falls State Park by Stephen-KarenConn

Highest Waterfall East of the Rockies

Fall Creek Falls State Park is the largest and most popular state park in Tennessee, and also my personal favorite. It has also been rated as one of the top state parks in America, yet it remains undiscovered by the vast majority of tourists to the Volunteer State.

Perhaps that is because Fall Creek Falls is not actually close to anywhere, and it is on no well-traveled route. However, for those who seek it out, the park is only about 90 minutes from either Chattanooga or Knoxville, and two hours from Nashville, located approximately in the center of the triangle created by these three cities. It sits at about 2,000 feet elevation, atop Tennessee's picturesque Cumberland Plateau, one of the most rugged and least populated parts of the state.

The centerpiece of the park is Fall Creek Falls, which, at 256 feet, is the highest waterfall in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains. However there are also at least four other impressive waterfalls in the park, as well as high cliffs, deep gorges, caves, fabulous swimming holes, a large lake, and a host of modern ammenities, including a great lodge, restaurants, and swimming pools.

Karen and I love this area so much we have bought 7 acres of land just a few miles from the park entrance and are planning to build our retirement home there.

Please don't visit Fall Creek Falls. Instead go to the Smoky Mountains with all the other tourist hordes, and leave this prettiest spot in Tennessee to those of us who love having the place all to ourselves.

• Last visit to Fall Creek Falls State Park: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 21, 2005

• Aug 18, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Shhh! You've revealed our family secret. We had vacations there when the family was young. We've enjoyed a wedding, reunions, and quiet getaways. I think this what heaven will be.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2006 at 9:07 PM

What a very beautiful place! But I don't want to spoil it, I'll go to the Smokies first...

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2005 at 2:35 PM

Some stunning pics of watrfalls and water features there Stephen! I liked the pic of the guy diving in from the no diving bridge too! Great page.

• vhasouth's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2005 at 11:45 AM

Gatlinburg can be so crowded in the fall is so we opted to go to Fall Creek Falls. The colors were great & the kids loved riding bikes down the trails. Did you by any chance go up to road to Rock Island State Park. Definately worth your time!!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2005 at 5:43 PM

Stephen, I don't know how you keep producing these amazing pages! As usual, fantastic tips and photos of this totally beautiful area. Sorry to tell you that I've already been to the Smokey Mts. so expect me in Fall Creek Falls the next time you are there!

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2005 at 7:38 AM

Another fantastic page! Your opening photo is stunning and your tips and additional photos really drew me in. Wish I could include this park along with my visit to Great Smoky next month, but time is limited. Hopefully, another time. Great job!

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2005 at 7:12 AM

This is just the type of place Lou and I would go to. We have become real waterfall junkies! In the past month, we've been to 3 sites, Niagara, Watkins Glen, and Kaaterskill. Waterfalls are magic. Great page! :)

• Orkaena's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2005 at 9:08 PM

The Fall put a spell on me... this place is magic, so', you're nervous when steps close to the cliffs, me too... I'm not afraid, I'm attracted by emptyness!! You know, vértigo. Anyway, I'm lured by this place because your pages, great indeed. Best Qfy!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2005 at 10:53 AM

A splendid job. Fall Creek Falls is a precious place, & you've captured its beauty, serenity, & spendor. The Inn looks amazing. So glad you are back & writing again. I've missed your keen insights, impeccable phrasing, & positive spin on nature....Bravo!

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2005 at 4:37 PM

Hi Stephen, Well, if your goal was to keep the tourist away...you're a total failure ;-) Beautiful! One day we'll make a cross country trip and this will have to be a stop. BTW just wait and see how many new friends you have when you build you place...Tom

Stephen-KarenConn Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Fall Creek Falls State Park

Have you been to Fall Creek Falls State Park?

Latest Activity in Fall Creek Falls State Park