"Cleveland, Bradley County, Tennessee" Cleveland by Stephen-KarenConn

Cleveland Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 56 photos

Stephen's Home Town

In 1948, when I was three years old, my family moved from Leadwood, Missouri, to Cleveland, Tennessee. I lived there until the age of 21, when I moved to Casper, Wyoming. I made my home in Cleveland again for a couple of years more recently. In the intervening time I have lived in a total of eleven states, but have always returned to Cleveland a few times a year.

When I was a kid Cleveland was a small town of about 15,000 people. It has grown rapidly until today Cleveland and Bradley County boast a population of approximately 90,000. There is a diversified economy here, with agriculture still playing an important role in the county and a broad local industrial base. More kitchen ranges are manufactured in Cleveland than anywhere else in America with Brown, Hardwick, and Maytag all having large factories. Other industries include the manufacture of Duracell Batteries, M&M Chocolates, Bowaters Paper MIll, golf balls, furniture, clothing, publishing and more.

Cleveland is also a college town, being home to Lee University, Cleveland State Community College, and the Church of God Theological Seminary. Many people know Cleveland best as the home of the oldest continuing local Pentecostal church in America, the North Cleveland Chruch of God, and Headquarters of four different Evangelical denominations, all branches of the Church of God.

The thing I like best about Cleveland is its proximity to the Cherokee National Forest, which is also headquartered here. Just a short distance away are lush green mountains where the trout streams and whitewater rivers run cold and clear and wildlife, including Black Bear and Wild Boar, still live free.

The pictures and tips here are from a recent trip back home. No doubt these pages will continue to grow as we plan return visits to Cleveland every few months to visit family.

• Pros:Near sparkling blue lakes, whitewater rivers, and lofty Appalachian mountains.
  • Cons:Too much religion.
  • In a nutshell:A blend of Southern Charm and Appalachian Culture.
  • Intro Updated Oct 10, 2006

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I've enjoyed your Cleveland, TN tips. My boyfriend and I were there last weekend as a base to raft the Ocoee. He rang the courthouse bell, and we kissed under the gazebo. Awww...

• bigorange1103's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2005 at 4:04 PM

Thanks for the great page. I like Cleveland but have never really explored it. We usually just past through. I found some things I would like to check out!!!!!!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2005 at 8:05 AM

Wonderful page on the much better Cleveland. Who needs Ohio's Cleveland when you have thihs beauty... ugly courthouse or not!

• benidormone's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2004 at 1:03 PM

As always very intresting tips and nice pictrures, I'll certainly come back to see some of your other pages!!!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2004 at 8:06 PM

WONDERFUL! Being 1/4 Indian, I'm fascinated by Cherokee information. Your family (brothers, sister, Mother) and the college information. Touching. Deer Park is beautiful. You amaze me...such excellence...it abounds in your pages.

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2004 at 7:42 PM

Wonderful page on YOUR TOWN! Great coverage on this beautiful place. Great history naration, and bulding named after your family, how cool! :o)

• erikatheskysailor's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2004 at 7:18 PM

Very great page about your hometown! Seems like a gem of a place, but I'm more partial to MY Cleveland. ;) Excellent tips and I really like the personal touch with them. :)

• soundsgoodtome's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2004 at 7:19 PM

A great start to a very nice small city. I didn't realize you had such strong ties here, especially to Lee University.

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2004 at 7:16 PM

This is a real lovely page Stephen & Karen, it looks like a great town Cleveland Tennesee and the page is new so I will come back when you add to it . I is very ok to bragg a little ,and your dad looks just great ,84 wow he looks great.

Stephen-KarenConn Used To Live Here!

Badges & Stats in Cleveland

Have you been to Cleveland?

Latest Activity in Cleveland