"Chattanooga, Tennessee: A City Reborn" Top 5 Page for this destination Chattanooga by Stephen-KarenConn

Chattanooga Travel Guide: 342 reviews and 749 photos

I grew up 30 miles north of Chattanooga, and whenever our family went to the "big city," this was it. Chattanooga was a thrilling place back then, especially when all the downtown department stores had animated displays in the windows on the day of the annual Christmas Parade. Chattanooga was Wonderland!

Then, with the expansion of the suburbs, downtown Chattanooga went into a few decades of serious decline. But the city has emerged now better than ever. Chattanooga today is once again a vibrant place - and a different kind of wonderland. This medium-sized Tennessee city just happens to be located in one of the most scenic settings of any urban center in the southern United States, surrounded by ridges and mountains, with a river running through it. The citizens of Chattanooga have built (or rebuilt) on that natural beauty and allure in an amazing revitalization of the downtown area, especially along the riverfront. Downtown Chattanooga is flourishing, with an aquarium, museums, parks, and a score of other projects, including the 21st Century Waterfront Project, a $120 million, 129 acre vision that is a model of urban renewal.
Just look at what others are saying about Chattanooga:

Fodor's: "One of the most overlooked and underrated places to visit ... a top family destination."

Family Fun Magazine: called it one of the top five cities to visit in the United States.

Outside: "One of the Top Ten Dream Towns"

U.S. News and World Report included Chattanooga in "Six Smart Cities ... What Your Hometown Can Learn from Six Success Stories."

Parade "The Reborn City ... A Place You Might Want to Live."

National Public Radio: called Chattanooga "one of the great cities of the world."

Impressed? Just wait until you visit Chattanooga for yourself. I'm proud of the city of my youth.

• In a nutshell:Scenic Center of the South
  • Intro Updated Jan 18, 2006

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Hey guys. I am considering this for next year, since I'm a Civil War enthusiast. Looks like a great place to visit.

• kschatterbox's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2007 at 8:40 PM

I thought this the best aquarium in the US! We have been there years ago before 2005. I will have to go back so I can touch the Sting Rays which was the best part!!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2005 at 8:17 AM

A very nice overview of this beautifully rejuvenated city! That old Railway Terminal building is very impressive! I once passed through the outskirts of the city, during a one-day round trip from Nashville to the Smokies, but not enough time to stop!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2005 at 6:20 AM

Always thought I would visit here.. would love to do the C' choo choo. Your son sounds very talented. There is a lot to offer here, lots of fun.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2005 at 7:02 PM

What fun to read through these pages. I had tea at a wonderful tearoom downtown when I was there a couple of years ago. Oh, that Augusta could get this vision too. And yes, we are into our steamy weather for sure! Marcia

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2005 at 9:56 AM

Accolades, Stephen, for another superior page. Your photos are aesthetically alluring, and your narrative is endearing, especially the part about Gregory at the Chattanooga Theatre Centre. Love the Sculpture Garden. Culinary descriptions certainly entice.

Badges & Stats in Chattanooga

Have you been to Chattanooga?