"Presque Isle State Park, Pennsylvania" Presque Isle State Park by Stephen-KarenConn
Presque Isle State Park Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 33 photos
In French presque isle means "almost an island," and Presque Isle State Park is certainly that, a long narrow sandy peninsula which arches 7 miles into Lake Erie near the city of Erie, Pennsylvania. Covering 3,200 acres, it is a beautiful day-use park that provides year-round recreational opportunities: swimming, boating, fishing, walking, bicycling picnicking and more.
Those not familiar with Lake Erie should know that it is not at all what one normally thinks of as a lake, but is rather a vast blue inland sea, bounded on the north by Ontario, Canada, and on the south by New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio in the United States. It is connected to the other 4 "Great Lakes," and also to the Atlantic Ocean via the St. Lawrence Seaway.
The peninsula was not in the original land grant that became Pennsylvania, and at first the state had no shore frontage on Lake Erie. Recognizing the strategic importance of access to the new country's inland seas, Pennsylvania bought a 45-mile stretch of lake frontage immediately after the Revolutionary War. The purchase included Presque Isle, and all of the area that today comprises Erie County, Pennsylvania.
National Geographic lists Presque Isle as one of the top State Parks in America. I first visited the peninsula with some college friends when I was 19, in August, 1964. It was such a lovely place that I always thought I would return, but It took me 41 years to do so, this time with Karen. There is a lesson to be learned here. Always cherish your visit to a special place, because you never know how long, if ever, it will be before you have that opportunity again.
Just across Presque Isle Bay from the state park is historic Erie, Pennsylvania. This very interesting small city has... more travel advice
"The Lady Kate," a 65-foot, 110 passenger vessel, provides visitors with an opportunity to take a 14-mile, 90-minute... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Presque Isle State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Presque Isle State Park, Pennsylvania"
- "windoweb's Presque Isle Page"
- "A Great Getaway"
- "Presque Isle, Pa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Presque Isle State Park
- Transportation in Presque Isle State Park
- Restaurants in Presque Isle State Park
- Shopping in Presque Isle State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Presque Isle State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Presque Isle State Park
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Presque Isle State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Presque Isle State Park
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- updated a Presque Isle State Park Travel Page "Presque Isle State Park, Pennsylvania"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Erie, Pennsylvania"
- Wrote a Review Erie, Pennsylvania in Presque Isle State Park Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of windoweb's Presque Isle State Park travel pages
Photos in Presque Isle State ParkSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos