"Tahlequah: Capital of the Cherokee Nation" Tahlequah by Stephen-KarenConn

Tahlequah Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 80 photos

Many people, even in America, have never heard of Tahlequah, Oklahoma, yet it is one of th most historically significant cities west of the Mississippi River. Since the early 1800s, Tahlequah has been the Capital of the Cherokee Nation and the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokees. The town was built at the end of the infamous Trail of Tears, after the Cherokee people were driven from their ancestral homelands in the southeastern United States. About 16,000 Cherokees traveled the route on several paths and as many as a quarter of them died along the way.

Tahlequah is located in a beautiful area called the Cookson Hills, between the Illinois River and Lake Tenkiller. The area is noted for its friendly people and it's broad range of educational, cultural and recreational opportunities.

Some people are surprised to learn that when the Cherokees - along with several other Native American tribes - were forcefully removed from their homelands and driven to "Indian Territory" in Oklahoma, they were as civilized as the European settlers who coveted their lands. The Cherokees had already adapted to most the white man's ways, had a very similar form of government, Christian churches and educational institutions. They even pubished their own newspaper, in both Cherokee and English.

On this page I will take you with me on a walking tour of Tahlequah's Original Townsite Historic District. Here you will see some of the public buildings and fine private homes of Tahlequah, dating back to the mid-19th century.

• Last visit to Tahlequah: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 13, 2006

• lonegranger's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2008 at 10:03 AM

I'm glad her stay was better than mine here. I found it extremely run down and next to a very busy and loud road/intersection. It is cheap and they were remodling but I didn't sleep too well.

• Aquariuzz's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2008 at 8:49 AM

Big B's is not a good place to eat. They close down about once a year. Tahlequah has about 5 pizza places, all cleaner and better organized than this one.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Great details of historic buildings and about Cherokee Indians. Cool page. Enjoyed your page very much.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2007 at 11:42 AM

As an Oklahoma bred boy, it does my heart good to see this page. As for the "Indians, " my alma mater (Okla City U) changed its name from Chiefs to Stars. Talk about genereic junk!

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Thank you so much for the greeting...I'm saving this in my custom travel guide. God bless! =) (Happy traveling!)

• miner's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Fascinating reading. Anything Native American attracts my interest and the attrocity of the Trail of Tears is mostly skimmed over in our history books.Excellent work,Stephen!!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2006 at 3:12 PM

Bravo, Stephen! Another excellent example of why VT is so valuable...to educate. I agree about the school names! Wonderful tips with terrific information, stunning photographs, and lots of valuable facts.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2006 at 1:56 PM

Wonderful account of the achievements of the Cherokee Nation! Although I had heard of them, I had no idea that they were so far ahead of their time. Beautiful houses along your walk. I too loved my time in Oklahoma, making it as far north as McAlester.

• johanl's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2006 at 11:28 PM

Very interesting story about the Native Americans. I like the information about the little towns in the USA. Doesnt always have to be the big and known cities. Great job Stephen.

• etfromnc's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2006 at 2:38 PM

Thank you!! I am beginning to plan a trip to OK for May and think that I should include Tahlequah.

Badges & Stats in Tahlequah

Have you been to Tahlequah?