"Tahlequah: Capital of the Cherokee Nation" Tahlequah by Stephen-KarenConn
Tahlequah Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 80 photos
Many people, even in America, have never heard of Tahlequah, Oklahoma, yet it is one of th most historically significant cities west of the Mississippi River. Since the early 1800s, Tahlequah has been the Capital of the Cherokee Nation and the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokees. The town was built at the end of the infamous Trail of Tears, after the Cherokee people were driven from their ancestral homelands in the southeastern United States. About 16,000 Cherokees traveled the route on several paths and as many as a quarter of them died along the way.
Tahlequah is located in a beautiful area called the Cookson Hills, between the Illinois River and Lake Tenkiller. The area is noted for its friendly people and it's broad range of educational, cultural and recreational opportunities.
Some people are surprised to learn that when the Cherokees - along with several other Native American tribes - were forcefully removed from their homelands and driven to "Indian Territory" in Oklahoma, they were as civilized as the European settlers who coveted their lands. The Cherokees had already adapted to most the white man's ways, had a very similar form of government, Christian churches and educational institutions. They even pubished their own newspaper, in both Cherokee and English.
On this page I will take you with me on a walking tour of Tahlequah's Original Townsite Historic District. Here you will see some of the public buildings and fine private homes of Tahlequah, dating back to the mid-19th century.
This small monument on the grounds of the Cherokee Capitol Building, commemorates the fact that Tahlaqueh was the site... more travel advice
The Ivy-Duncan-Dannenburg Home, also known as the Jim Duncan Home, sits on Brookside, just across the street from the... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Tahlequah Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Tahlequah
- Hotels in Tahlequah
- Nightlife in Tahlequah
- Restaurants in Tahlequah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tahlequah
- 25 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (175)
Have you been to Tahlequah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tahlequah
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos