"Nantahala: Land of the Noonday Sun" Nantahala by Stephen-KarenConn
Nantahala Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 30 photos
Nantahala is the name of a river, a gorge, a National Forest, and a small rural mountain community in the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina. "Nantahala" is a Cherokee word which means "Land of the noonday sun." It is derived from the fact that the mountains are so steep here and the valleys so deep and narrow that the sun only penetrates them in the middle of the day.
For about 35 years our Conn family has had an annual reunion here on the last weekend of September. Although we are actually from East Tennessee, a couple of hours away, the facilities at Nantahala Village suit us well and the place has come to feel almost like a second home. Take a look and you may see what keeps drawing us back year after year.
For a unique experience that you will not soon forget take a ride on the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad, pulled by an... more travel advice
Nantahala is for lovers, families, and outdoor enthusiasts. It's not your best venue for shopping. However, Nantahala... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Nantahala Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Nantahala
- Hotels in Nantahala
- Restaurants in Nantahala
- Shopping in Nantahala
- Warnings and Dangers in Nantahala
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nantahala
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Nantahala?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nantahala
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- Commented on one of amybrooke's Nantahala travel pages
- updated a Nantahala Travel Page "Nantahala: Land of the Noonday Sun"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Respect the Whitewater"
- Wrote a Review The Great Smoky Mountains Railroad in Nantahala Off The Beaten Path
Photos in NantahalaSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos