"Port Gibson: Too Beautiful to Burn" Port Gibson by Stephen-KarenConn
Port Gibson Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 42 photos
Port Gibson, located near the Mississippi River between Vicksburg and Natchez, is the third oldest city in Mississippi, chartered as a town on March 12, 1803. It was occupied by General Ulysses S. Grant and his Federal troops in May of 1863, during the War Between the States. Port Gibson was spared the wanton destruction which was the fate of many Southern cities during the War because Grant said it was "too beautiful to burn."
Although the town is historically significant, Port Gibson is smaller today than it has been in times past. The population was 1,840 at the 2000 census. It is the seat of Claiborne County.
I am very proud that two of my great great uncles, Sargent James Monroe Devaughn and his younger brother, Private John... more travel advice
About five miles north of Port Gibson on the Natchez Trace Parkway is the site of Magnum Mound, believed to have been... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Port Gibson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ruins near Port Gibson: Windsor and Rodney"
- "Port Gibson: Too Beautiful to Burn"
- "Keeweechic's Port Gibson"
- "Basaic Port Gibson Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Gibson
- Transportation in Port Gibson
- Restaurants in Port Gibson
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Gibson
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (175)
Have you been to Port Gibson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Gibson
Photos in Port GibsonSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos