"Natchez: Antebellum Jewel on the Mississippi" Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez by Stephen-KarenConn
Natchez Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 373 photos
"There was a land of Cavaliers and Cotton Fields called the Old South. Here in this pretty world, Gallantry took its last bow. Here was the last ever to be seen of Knights and their Ladies Fair, of Master and of Slave. Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered, a Civilization gone with the wind..."
— From the opening of the film Gone with the Wind (1939)
Perched 200 feet above the Mississippi River on the highest promontory north of the Gulf of Mexico, Natchez is the oldest American city on the River - even older by two years than New Orleans. In the mid-1800s it was one of the wealthiest cities in America, with more than half of the nation's millionaires living in or near Natchez. That was before the War Between the States - a conflict that has forever marked this icon of the Deep South.
The successive devastations of the War, "Reconstruction," the demise of the steamship, the Boll Weevil, and the Great Depression could not destroy the unique character and flavor of Natchez.
A visit to Natchez is the closest most people will ever get to experiencing a time and a culture that was the Old South. History buffs will be totally enraptured by Natchez. Even those who think they have no interest in historic sites will be captivated by the Southern charm of this antebellum jewel on the Mississippi.
All of my life I've heard, and have even sung, the United States Marine Hymn, which begins with the line: "From the... more travel advice
Natchez City Hall sits across the street from both the Adams County Courthouse and the Historic Natchez Jail. We did not... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Natchez Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "natchez mississippi"
- "Natchez: Antebellum Jewel on the Mississippi"
- "The Antebellum Charm of Natchez, Mississippi"
- "Natchez, once the town of the rich"
- "Natchez, Mississippi"
- "Keeweechic's Natchez"
- "Historic Natchez, on the Mississippi River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Natchez
- Hotels in Natchez
- Transportation in Natchez
- Nightlife in Natchez
- Restaurants in Natchez
- Shopping in Natchez
- Warnings and Dangers in Natchez
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Natchez
- 31 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Natchez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Natchez
Photos in NatchezSee All Photos (102)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos