"George Washington Carver National Monument" George Washington Carver National Monument by Stephen-KarenConn

"As a very small boy exploring the almost virgin woods of the old Carver place I had the impression someone had just been there ahead of me .... I was practically overwhelmed with the sense of some Great Presence .... I knew even then it was the Great Spirit of the universe .... Never since have I been without this consciousness of the Creator speaking to me through flowers, rocks, animals, plants and all the other aspects of His creations."
--George Washington Carver

George Washington Carver National Monument in southwestern Missouri memorializes the life of a very remarkable scientist and early black leader in American history. It is located in a 210 acre park which surrounds Carver's boyhood home, and consists of rolling hills, woodlands, and prairies, as well as monuments, a museum and interpretative displays. Among the sights visitors will see are the 1881 Historic Moses Carver house and the Carver family cemetery.

George Washington Carver was born a slave in 1864, on the farm of Moses and Susan Carver. He was orphaned as an infant, and his frail health freed him from many daily chores, giving him time to explore. "Day after day I spent in the woods alone in order to collect my floral beauties and put them in my little garden I had hidden in brush," he would later write. Carver became known in his community as "The Plant Doctor," and in time he would become one of the great scientists and educators of his day.

• Intro Updated Jan 2, 2006

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2006 at 3:53 AM

An excellent page Stephen, with some very insightful observations by G.W. Carver! The name vaguely rang a bell with me but I had no idea of the impact that he made with his life. Your photos and tips have brought this Monument to life for me!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2006 at 7:24 PM

I, indeed, enjoyed these pages about George Washington Carver. Your use of quotes is remarkable. The photographs are very good. Love the "moveable school"! I love the new format with multiple photos, which you use quite effectively.

Badges & Stats in George Washington Carver National Monument

Have you been to George Washington Carver National Monument?