Redwood Falls Favorite Tips by Stephen-KarenConn
Redwood Falls Favorites: 4 reviews and 6 photos
United States Naval Gun, circa. 1844
Favorite thing: This 32-pounder muzzel loading cannon, adapted by the United States Navy in 1844, stands on the Redwood County Courthouse lawn as a Civil War Memorial to the county's veterans in the War Between the States. This gun was the primary cannon used by the Navy during the War. It was manufactured circa 1950 by the Fort Pitt Foundry, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The cannon weighed 3300 pounds and could throw a 32 pound cannonball for a maximum range of 4911 feet. It used a charge of 4.5 pounds of powder and had a crew of 9 seamen.
This Naval Gun was donated to Redwood County in 1897, by the John Marsh post of the Grand Army of the Republic.
Redwood Stockade Monument
Favorite thing: The city of Redwood Falls traces its beginnings to 1864. That was during the War Between the States and at a time when Plains Indians still roamed the Minnesota prairie. Colonel Sam McPhail erected the Redwood Stockade, covering half a city block. It was located 200 feet west of the current Redwood County Courthouse.
The stockade consisted of an eight foot high reinforced wall of sod surrounded by a four foot deep ditch, along with posts driven into the sod bank. Within the walls of the stockade was Mcphail's cabin, a post office and other buildings in the pioneer community.
Redwood Stockade was designed to serve as protection from marauding Indians, although there is no record of Indians having ever attacked it. However, the Dakota Uprising had taken place just a couple of years earlier during which hundreds of pioneer settlers were killed and many others taken captive.
Early History of Redwood Falls
Redwood County Courthouse, Minnesota
Favorite thing: The Redwood County Courthouse was built for $35,000 in 1892, with granite from a quarry in north Redwood and bricks from a New Ulm, MN, brickyard. It is in the Romanesque Revival Style with the courtroom occupying the entire second floor. At that time, live trials and hearings were a major spectator sport.
Over the years the building has been remodeled and expanded. Windows have been filled in with glass block and aluminum frames, towers removed one-by one, entrances changed, a vault and a 19,500-square-foot south wing added, and utilities modernized.
250 South Jefferson Street
Redwood Falls, Minnesota 25283
Phone: (507) 637-4013
Redwood County Courthouse
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Redwood Falls Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where are the redwoods? Where are the falls?"
- "Redwood Falls, Redwood County, Minnesota"
- "mija21's new Redwood Falls Page"
- "Redwood Falls, US"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Redwood Falls
- Hotels in Redwood Falls
- Restaurants in Redwood Falls
- See All...
Explore the World
- Sri Lanka Hotels
- Dumaguete City Hotels
- Cleveland Park Hotels
- Dunes City Hotels
- Steptoe Butte State Park Hotels
- Bangladesh Hotels
- Jurong Town Hotels
- West Virginia Hotels
- Riva del Garda
- Montecatini Terme
- Lloret de Mar
- Coyoacán Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir
Badges & Stats in Redwood Falls
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Redwood Falls?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Redwood Falls
Photos in Redwood FallsSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos
Latest Redwood Falls hotel reviews
- Select Inn Redwood Falls
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013