Mora Sports & Outdoors Tips by Stephen-KarenConn
Mora Sports & Outdoors: 1 reviews and 3 photos
This life sized statue of a cross country skiier in motion is named "Ole." It stands at the junction of Highway 23 East and Highway 65, and serves as a reminder to all of the annual Vasaloppet ski race in Mora.
In 1973, Mora, Minnesota residents who wanted to strengthen the ties between themselves and their sister city of Mora, Sweden, decided to adopt the Swedish Vasaloppet cross-country ski race, the most famous race of its kind in the world. Just like at the Swedish counterpart, the trails are puncuated with blueberry soup and drink stands. The home-stretch and finish line are set right in the center of town, just as in Sweden. It has grown to become Minnesota's largest race, with more than 2,000 skiers taking part each year. The community event is staged by more than 700 volunteers, many of them descendents of Swedish imigrants.
Many Swedes travel to Minnesota to take part in the American version of Vasaloppet. In 1987 Peter Hjelte from Mora, Sweden, won the race.
More Reviews (8)
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Mora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mora, Kanabec County, Minnesota"
- "Mora, a little town in East Central Minnesota"
- "Mora, US"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Rocky Mountain House
- Los Charamicos Hotels
- Flatt's Village Hotels
- Gaspar Hernández
- San Mateo Atenco Hotels
- Hohne Hotels
Badges & Stats in Mora
- 9 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Mora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mora
Photos in MoraSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos