Munising Off The Beaten Path Tips by Stephen-KarenConn Top 5 Page for this destination
Munising Off The Beaten Path: 7 reviews and 7 photos
Laughing Whitefish Falls
This cascading 100 ft. waterfall is the central feature of the 960 acre Laughing Whitefish Falls State Park. Little developed, the only facilities in the park are a small parking area, picnic tables, outhouse, and a hand water pump. Camping is not permitted. A well groomed .8 mile trail leads through a mature white pine and hemlock forest to the falls. Wooden stairs and three platforms allow viewing from the top, middle, and bottom.
To find the falls follow Hwy #94 west of Munising approximately 23 miles to the very small village of Sundell. Turn north up Sundell road for about two miles to the park. This road is narrow and will become gravel before you reach the park.
Tree Growing out of Chapel Rock
This fantastic rock formation rises beside a spectacularly beautiful beach, complete with a small waterfall which flows from the forest into Lake Superior. It's a spot you will long remember, but to reach it is a six mile (round trip) hike. Karen and I thoroughly enjoyed this walk, past the high cascading Chapel Falls, and through a deep woods that had an unusually high population of chipmunks. Black Bear are not uncommon along the trail, although we were not fortunate to see one.
Reach the trailhead by following H-58, 15 miles east of Munising, past the small town of Melstrand, and in another mile or so you will see a sign on the left pointing to the Chapel area. Turn onto this narrow, bumpy, dirt road and follow it to a fork, stay right, and you will see the trailhead parking area. It is possible to make a loop by taking the Chapel Falls trail one way and the Mosquito Trail the other. Signs at the trailhead help explain the route.
Au Sable Point Lighthouse
This grand old 87 ft. lighthouse, established in 1874, is still active and in excellent condition. It is reached by a 3 mile (round trip) hike from the Hurricane River Campground at the far eastern end of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. The trailhead is reached by taking H-58 east for about 31 miles. The road will be dirt for the last half of the way. Hurricane River is a small remote campground on the shore of Lake Superior. There you will find a sign pointing out the lakefront trail to the lighthouse. When we were there in early August two National Park intrepreters were on hand to give us a tour.
Karen & Shipwreck Ruins on Lake Superior's Shore
Along the 1.5 mile of stretch of Lake Superior shoreline, between Au Sable Point Lighthouse and the Hurricane River Campground, one can view the remains of several old shipwrecks. Karen and I hiked the regular trail from Hurricane River to the lighthouse, then we returned via the rocky/sandy coast. Along the way we stopped to inspect the timbers and steel of several shipwrecks which have washed up at this point.
To reach Hurricane River Campground take H-58 about 31 miles east of Munising. It will be a dirt road for the second half of the way.
This highest of all the waterfalls in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is reached by a three mile (round trip) hike through a pristine northwoods forest. It is approximately the half way point to Chapel Rock and Chapel Beach, for those who want a longer hike.
To reach the falls take H-58 east of Munising for about 15 miles. Go through the small town of Melstrand and in another mile or so look for a sign on the left pointing to the Chapel area. Take this bumpy, narrow dirt road to a fork, stay right, and you will find the trailhead parking area.
More Reviews (6)
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Munising Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Waterfalls and Pictured Rocks Lakeshore"
- "Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore"
- "On the shores of Gitche Gumee"
- "Say Yah to Da UP, Eh !"
- "A Nice Getaway"
- "Munising, Michigan by Kimberlyann"
- "A truly Superior place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Munising
- Hotels in Munising
- Transportation in Munising
- Nightlife in Munising
- Restaurants in Munising
- Warnings and Dangers in Munising
- See All...
Explore the World
- Malatapay Hotels
- Portnoo Hotels
- East Houston Hotels
- Harrison Bay State Park Hotels
- Schwäbisch Hall
- Hoi An
- Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Off The Beaten Path
- Phuket Off The Beaten Path
- Paderborn Off The Beaten Path
- Delft Off The Beaten Path
- Vis Off The Beaten Path
- Negril Off The Beaten Path
- Maratea Off The Beaten Path
- Railway Stations
- Amarante Off The Beaten Path
- Penteli mountain
- Kaneohe Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Munising
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Munising?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Munising
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- Commented on one of CONNOROBRIAN's Munising travel pages
- Wrote a Review Shipwreck Ruins Along the Lake Superior Shore in Munising Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Au Sable Point Lighthouse"
- updated a Munising Travel Page "Land of Waterfalls and Pictured Rocks Lakeshore"
Photos in MunisingSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos