"Red River Gorge Gelogoical Area" Slade by Stephen-KarenConn
Slade Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 21 photos
Slade is a small town about 54 miles southeast of Lexington, Kentucky via I-64 and the Mountain Parkway. There's not much to the town: two service stations, a couple of churches, and a handful of shops which cater to the half-million plus tourists who visit here every year. Slade sits between the Natural Bridge State Resort Park and the Red River Gorge. We have built a seperate set of pages for the State Park. Here we will give you a glimpse of the Red River Gorge - an amazing geological area which is a magnet to rock climbers, hikers, kayakers, and sightseers. Red River Gorge is best known for its more than 100 natural stone arches, the largest concentration of such geological formations east of the Rocky Mountains.
A loop drive through the Gorge will take a minimum of two hours, but you will need at least half a day to hike to even a few of the natural arches and overlooks. The drive follows Ky-15 about 1 1/2 miles north of Slade to KY-77. After about four miles turn right on KY-175, and that will eventually lead you back to KY-15 south of Slade. The road is narrow and very winding. One-lane gravel side roads lead to some of the points of interest.
From the Chimney Rock Overlook , look sharply left and you will see a high cliff with a crescent top - hence its name,... more travel advice
A narrow gravel road, Chimney Top Scenic Drive, leads about four miles off the KY-715 loop road to the Chimney Top... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Slade Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Red River Gorge Gelogoical Area"
- "The Red River Gorge"
- "Natural Bridge & Red River Gorge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Slade
- Transportation in Slade
- Restaurants in Slade
- Warnings and Dangers in Slade
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Slade
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Slade?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Slade
Photos in SladeSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos
Latest Slade hotel reviews
- Hemlock Lodge
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013