"Natural Bridge State Resort Park" Natural Bridge State Park by Stephen-KarenConn

Natural Bridge State Park Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 61 photos

Karen and I especially enjoy the state parks of Kentucky, and Natural Bridge is our favorite of them all. The Park takes it's name from an imposing natural sandstone arch which spans 78-feet in length and is 65-feet high. But there is much more to the park than that. Here you will also find fabulous opportunities for hiking, camping swimming, and much more. There is a delightful lodge, restaurant, gift shops, cottages and activities for the entire family.

The Park was first established in 1895 by the Lexington and Eastern Railroad. The Railroad was built to haul logs out of Eastern Kentucky, and the park was a sideline to passenger and freight business. Trails, campgrounds, picnic areas and other improvements were built. The only way to reach the Natural Bridge for many decades was by railroad. In 1926, after highways had penetrated the area, the railroad donated the Natural Bridge to become one of Kentucky's four original state parks.

Natural Bridge State Resort Park is 52-miles southeast of Lexington. Take I-64 to the Mountain Parkway, and exit at Slade, on KY-11 to the park. It is within the Daniel Boone National Forest and next to the famous Red River Gorge. For more information on the Gorge see our pages under Slade, Kentucky.

• Last visit to Natural Bridge State Park: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 22, 2004

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2006 at 9:11 PM

Beautiful page, this looks like a great state park.

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2005 at 11:15 AM

Cool Place! I've often heard about the Natural Bridge and now that I know more, I want to go... And, it's not all that far from here! Most informative tips & information... Great Job! ;-)

• andrewwhite's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2004 at 3:02 PM

Your pages on State Parks are all excellent. Wish we had the space for a few in the UK. Very nicely done.

• jelw's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2004 at 12:26 PM

wonderful photo of the natural bridge. I look forward to wandering your pages further. Jill

• martin_nl's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2004 at 8:02 AM

The natural bridge looks great. Very helpful page. This NP looks like the perfect place for an active yet relaxing holiday. Good info and perfect pics!!

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2004 at 5:51 PM

The most beautiful monuments are made by nature and not by mankind. You've captivated them very well. Thank you.

• johanl's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2004 at 5:13 AM

Another great page on our beloved state of KY. I visited this place, when is was last in KY. Excellent writing, Stephen.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2004 at 4:20 AM

Well, I'll be sure to mosey on down to the Hoedown Island. That sounds like a hoot. I'm impressed with your knowledge of the different flora and fauna. Well done Stephen.

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2004 at 4:08 PM

Looks like I wasn't the only one out hiking in America's beautiful parks...I am very impressed by the Natural Bridge...reminds me of all the arches that I saw in Utah! Great photos and info as usual, thanks Stephen.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2004 at 5:47 AM

what an interesting scenery and great pics ! ...such a natural arch is always really impressive ! In Europe I know only of the one in Hrensko / Czechia

Badges & Stats in Natural Bridge State Park

Have you been to Natural Bridge State Park?