"Maysville, Mason County, Kentucky" Maysville by Stephen-KarenConn
Maysville Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 23 photos
If you enjoy discovering small out-of-the-way towns which are rich in history, full of great old architecture, and located in a scenic setting, then you will love Maysville, Kentucky. It is a very charming Ohio River town, 69 miles east of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Maysville, the seat of Mason county, is at the confluence of Limestone Creek and the Ohio River. Settlement began in the 1780s and the site was initially known as Limestone, named for the creek. The town was formed in 1787 and named Maysville for John May, surveyor, clerk, and land owner in the area. The post office opened in 1794 as Limestone and was renamed Maysville about 1799. Both names were in use well into the nineteenth century.
In the Riverboat era of the 1800s, Maysville became an important port. Ferries crossed to Ohio and a road was opened to Lexington by around 1800. Maysville is one of largest burley tobacco markets in the world and at one time was one of largest hemp markets.
With a proud heritage, Maysville continues to be a very attractive small town of more than 7,000 friendly residents. It is the home of Maysville Community and Technical College.
This monument was given to the City of Maysville in 1999 to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Maysville Division... more travel advice
A gateway through the floodwall and leading under the railroad tracks links downtown with the Maysville Fishing Pier and... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Maysville Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Maysville
- Hotels in Maysville
- Transportation in Maysville
- Restaurants in Maysville
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Maysville
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Maysville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maysville
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos