"Cumberland Falls State Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Cumberland Falls State Park by Stephen-KarenConn

Cumberland Falls State Park Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 145 photos

Cumberland Falls State Resort Park in southern Kentucky, surrounded by the Daniel Boone National Forest. It is well off the beaten path, 20 miles from Corbin and a little less than that off I-75. The centerpiece of the park is Cumberland Falls, the largest waterfall in America south of Niagara and east of the Rockies. It is often referred to as "The Niagara of the South." The state park boasts a very fine lodge and restaurant, cottages, swimming pool, campground gift shop and numerous recreational opportunities including whitewater rafting, horse stables, and hiking trails.

Karen and I enjoyed a delightful three-day visit to Cumberland Falls in mid-January over the Martin Luther King, Jr. Weekend. Temperatures were well below freezing and we had a dusting of snow, but it was great weather for hiking - and for snuggling by the fire in the lodge.

We have been back to Cumberland Falls twice since that January trip - once with our grandchildren. It's such a special place, we just may go again.

• Last visit to Cumberland Falls State Park: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 27, 2006

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Wonderful info on hiking the trails (which I'd like to do on an upcoming trip)! Great info on the restaurant (couldn't find anything elsewhere). Thanks, Stephen & Karen! KY Hot Brown is one of my faves - best place I've had it is Ramsey's in Lexington.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2008 at 3:35 PM

looks to mbe a brilliant place to recharge the batteries. congratulations on the book, btw

• GuthrieColin's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Excellent work on this page i certainly will have to check this place out. I couldn't miss a natural phenomenon associated with a waterfall!!!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2007 at 4:56 AM

Excellent page on Cumberland Falls Stephen. Hans & I visited here in January with Johan & Wies.We didn't see the moonbow either but did have a lovely rainbow over the falls. Also thanks for visiting my new Greece pages.

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2007 at 4:17 AM

What a beautiful prism...the unification of all the colors...I definitely give it a 100...Oh, 5 is the highest? =) At any rate, the tip was great and the picture was fantastic!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2006 at 7:05 PM

The State Parks in the USA really are nice to visit Stephen I did not know you had to beware of snakes in this Park haha you expect it in Texas and other southern States Good to know I will be careful if I go there Very nice page

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2006 at 6:46 PM

good tip. few people know that

• Apr 27, 2006 at 10:45 PM

Hello, your picture of the "moonbow" is really beautiful. Thank you.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2006 at 9:13 PM

The Moonbow and the arches all seem very interesting. I've never known that Kentucky was so beautiful!

• desert_princess's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2005 at 7:45 AM

Wow!! Moonbow..first time I hear about it!!! The world is full of wonders:))

Badges & Stats in Cumberland Falls State Park

Have you been to Cumberland Falls State Park?