"Carter Caves State Resort Park" Carter Caves State Resort Park by Stephen-KarenConn

Eight Inches of Snow in Kentucky

Carter Caves State Resort Park was our destination for the long Martin Luther King Jr. Weekend in January. As we were leaving Sharonville for the three hour drive the snow was just beginning to fall. Eight inches blanked the gound when we reached our destination. It would have been just another good weekend. With the snow it became a magical one.

Carter Caves is home to more than 20 caverns. Also there are many miles of hiking trails past natural stone bridges and other awe inspiring geologic formations.

Other amenities in the park include a 9 hole golf course, boating on 40 acre Smokey Valley Lake, fishing, two swimming pools, horse stables, tennis courts, picinc areas and playgrounds. Canoeing is also available on beautiful Tygart Creek which flows through the park.

Tucked away in the wooded Eastern Kentucky Hills, Carter Caves State Resort is an off-the-beaten-path destinatinon which is well worth discovering.

• Pros:Caves, natural arches, beautiful mountains, abundant wildlife
  • Cons:A long way from town (but then that's a "Pro")
  • In a nutshell:Wonderful surprises here - an undiscovered treasure!
  • Last visit to Carter Caves State Resort Park: Jan 2002
  • Intro Updated Mar 12, 2004

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2011 at 5:08 AM

Oh boy, you braved that during winter. Brave souls. Looks fantastic though. The natural bride is fantastic! Nice page!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2007 at 9:30 AM

Isn't it amazing how snow makes everything so much more magical??

• e7forever's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2005 at 10:26 AM

Snow?! What's that? I wish we got snow in Las Cruces. We havn't seen snow in years! We desert folk have to go up to Cloudcroft, NM or Ruidoso, NM for that.

• Mar 1, 2005 at 5:21 PM

Ethan and I may be headed for Mammoth Cave...thought for sure I'd find a page here. Carter Caves looks cool, too....hopefully most of the snow will be gone in KY, if we go!!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2005 at 9:06 AM

An undiscovered wonder indeed!! What a great place to be almost snow-bound for a few days! It sounds and looks like you had a fantastic time here!

• smyturn's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2004 at 6:12 PM

Great information. I haven't been spelunking since I was...well a while ago. Thanks for bringing back fantastic memories! Beautiful pages!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2004 at 4:25 AM

Great introduction--both the photo of Karen in the snow & the text. Caveland Lodge sounds marvelous. Good thing that the one choice in dining was good! Breathtaking scenery. My parents retired to KY & I love the state. Thanks for doing such quality work.

• johanl's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2004 at 9:54 AM

The snow ads so much to the landscapes and nature of KY

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2004 at 5:30 AM

This looks like a beautiful and interesting place to visit, nice page!

Badges & Stats in Carter Caves State Resort Park

Have you been to Carter Caves State Resort Park?