"Greensburg, Kiowa County, Kansas" Greensburg by Stephen-KarenConn

Greensburg Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 68 photos

A Near Perfect Small Town

Greensburg, Kansas, with a population of only 1,885 is an off-the-beaten-path community on the high plains of south-central Kansas. It is the seat of Kiowa County, named for the Kiowa Indians. About 3,200 people live in the entire county. You can't get there by commercial airline, train or even bus. The town is not touched by an interstate highway. Most people have never heard of Greensburg and relatively few tourists come here. That's a crying shame, because Greensburg is about as perfect as a small town can get.

In Greensburg you won't find a Wal-Mart or a mall, but the downtown business district is alive and well. Crime is virtually non-existent, You'll meet friendly people with lots of community pride and spirit. There are many interesting things to see and do, lots of recreational opportunities, and an abundance of wide open spaces, fresh air and scenic vistas. An extra bonus is all the peace and quite you could possibly want.

If you ever wonder what it is that drives me try and visit every county in the United States in my lifetime, then take a look at Kiowa County and maybe you'll understand. How regrettable it would be to complete my earthly journey and never once have stepped foot in Greensburg, Kansas!

• Pros:Lot's of delightful surprises.
  • Cons:Cold winds in winter.
  • In a nutshell:Home of the World's Largest Hand Dug Well.
  • Last visit to Greensburg: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 12, 2007

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Sad that Near Perfect Town was destroyed--Hunter Drugstore, gone, County Museum, gone, Twilight Theater, gone, who knows where the meteorite is--Big Well Museum, gone...

• May 9, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Thank you so much for posting your photographs. Dick was there to serve me a malt when I drove through in '97, too. I was distraught upon learning of Greensburg's obliteration and am grateful that your page can help me remember it.

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2007 at 12:32 PM

As you probably know by now, this near perfect little town has been completely destroyed by a devastating tornado, nine or more lives lost. It is so sad. My family has passed through this town so many times over the years, and now it is gone.

• kschatterbox's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2007 at 5:44 AM

You know I live in Kansas most of my life. Before I got married I had never heard of Greensburg. On my honeymoon my husband took me to the Hand dug well on our way to Colorado! I found it to be a nice small town :)

• miner's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2007 at 4:38 PM

Backroads USA are often where you will really find the America at its best. No hustle and bustle and it seems the folks ther are always friendly. You have captered this exceptionally well in these pages. Awesome reading !!

• johanl's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2006 at 8:00 AM

These pages proof that also small towns can be very interesting. Well done, again, Stephen !!!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2006 at 5:16 PM

These pages are the BEST I've read on VT,really...the real America, & only you could capture it, Stephen. The band, the round Barn (like the ones in Central Illinois), the soda fountain & it's special employee, the crazy signs, the hand dug well..oh, my.

Badges & Stats in Greensburg

Have you been to Greensburg?