"Greensburg, Kiowa County, Kansas" Greensburg by Stephen-KarenConn
Greensburg Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 68 photos
Greensburg, Kansas, with a population of only 1,885 is an off-the-beaten-path community on the high plains of south-central Kansas. It is the seat of Kiowa County, named for the Kiowa Indians. About 3,200 people live in the entire county. You can't get there by commercial airline, train or even bus. The town is not touched by an interstate highway. Most people have never heard of Greensburg and relatively few tourists come here. That's a crying shame, because Greensburg is about as perfect as a small town can get.
In Greensburg you won't find a Wal-Mart or a mall, but the downtown business district is alive and well. Crime is virtually non-existent, You'll meet friendly people with lots of community pride and spirit. There are many interesting things to see and do, lots of recreational opportunities, and an abundance of wide open spaces, fresh air and scenic vistas. An extra bonus is all the peace and quite you could possibly want.
If you ever wonder what it is that drives me try and visit every county in the United States in my lifetime, then take a look at Kiowa County and maybe you'll understand. How regrettable it would be to complete my earthly journey and never once have stepped foot in Greensburg, Kansas!
- Pros:Lot's of delightful surprises.
- Cons:Cold winds in winter.
- In a nutshell:Home of the World's Largest Hand Dug Well.
When the Twilight Theatre first opened in 1915 it boasted one of the largest movie screens in the entire state of... more travel advice
Driving westward from Greensburg along U.S. 54 and also KS-400 you will see the colorful metal artwork of M.T. Liggett.... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Greensburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Near Perfect Town Destroyed by Tornado"
- "Greensburg, Kiowa County, Kansas"
- "Greensburg, Kansas"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greensburg
- 10 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Greensburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greensburg
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos