"French Lick, Indiana" French Lick by Stephen-KarenConn

French Lick Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 29 photos

Valentines Weekend in French Lick

What did Al Capone, Joe Lewis, and Franklin D. Roosevelt all have in common. The notorious gangster, the world heavyweight boxing champion and the American President (plus many other presidents for that matter) have all been visitors to the little southern Indiana town of French Lick. It is also the hometown of Larry Bird, of Boston Celtics basketball fame.

It sounds sexy to some, but French Lick got its name from an early French outpost in the area and the nearby salt lick. It was the mineral springs here that made the town famous, and a magnet for the rich and famous during the early decades of the 20th century. Pluto Water, named after the god of the underworld, was once bottled here and sold worldwide.

We had heard so much about this town, and especially it's fabulous old hotel, that we decided it would be a good venue for our Valentines Day weekend. There isn't really much to the town, although we did enjoy exploring the local winery and the old five and dime store downtown. This is hill country, more reminiscent of Appalachia than the midwest. And the hotel exceeded our expectations. It was another great weekend getaway.

• In a nutshell:Reliving a bygone era.
  • Last visit to French Lick: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 27, 2004

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2007 at 12:15 AM

A grand lobby indeed, and another great name. I hope you got a magnet. leyle

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2006 at 4:24 AM

my wife would love this place. it's on the list for one day

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2005 at 7:50 AM

Just because of the name, i had to check this page out!!! Well, it is again a great page!

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2004 at 2:41 PM

Never heard of this strange sounding place but it looks like they have splendid hotel accom there.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2004 at 4:58 PM

I knew all about Larry Bird, of course, but had no idea about the spas, resorts, FDR and Al Capone. Quite a place.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2004 at 5:38 AM

an interesting page ! ...and of course I knew from the beginning the name comes from the salt lick nearby ;-))

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2004 at 2:51 AM

I had to see what a place called French Lick was like! Nice history here, your hotel does look very impressive. (~_~)

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2004 at 3:07 PM

Repeating earlier comment, my curiosity was piqued since this is Bird-country;-] Nice to see more than sports paraphenalia abounds;-]

• May 7, 2004 at 2:50 PM

How I wish Larry would return!

• miner's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2004 at 6:55 PM

Great tour ! My wife and I spent a couple of days there a few years ago when I attended a labor-management retreat. It was an awesome experience.

Badges & Stats in French Lick

Have you been to French Lick?

Latest Activity in French Lick