"Brown County State Park, Indiana" Brown County State Park by Stephen-KarenConn

Brown County State Park Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 59 photos

Located just outside the art colony of Nashville, in south/central Indiana, Brown County State Park sprawls over 15,696 acres, making it the largest and most popular park in the Hoosier State. The park was established in 1929, and in 1934, the Civilian Conservation Corps constructed many of the buildings, roads, shelters, ovens and trails that visitors to the park still enjoy today.

In a state that is known for its flat farmland, this is an area of wooded hills with the second highest point in Indiana, Weed Patch Hill, located within the park. These hills are sometimes referred to as the "Little Smokies" because of frequent low lying fogs in the forested valleys.

Karen and I visited Brown County over the long Martin Luther King Junior weekend in January, 2006. Although it was the dead of winter, we had a very enjoyable three days of hiking, exploring, and experiencing this special place of quiet beauty.

• Last visit to Brown County State Park: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 22, 2006

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2007 at 7:05 PM

We've visited Brown County and Nashville several times - we especially enjoy looking for the "old log cabins" hidden in the remodeled homes. A great place to visit on VT or in Indiana! Nice page! Marcia

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Four years in Bloomington and I never explored this area, nice coverage of the State Park :-)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2007 at 6:54 AM

very informative, as ever, loved the covered bridge and look-out post. quality timber in them.

• miner's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2007 at 4:51 PM

I have passed this park a few times traveling but have never stopped. We have wandered around Nashville but never the park.I will certainly have to now!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2007 at 4:25 AM

I love covered bridges. The pic of Strahl Lake is beautiful Stephen.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2007 at 4:31 PM

Loved the Lookout tower, the Abe Martin Lodge, and the background information about Abe Martin. Always a learning experience with your tips, Stephen, and you know I love learning. Superior photographs. Karen looks darling in her "hoodie".

• etfromnc's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2006 at 6:53 AM

I'm a big fan of covered bridges (see my VA pages) so I guess that I will have to schedule more time in IN so that I can check out the covered bridges there. Thanks for the tip.

Badges & Stats in Brown County State Park

Have you been to Brown County State Park?

Latest Activity in Brown County State Park