"Effigy Mounds National Monument" Effigy Mounds National Monument by Stephen-KarenConn

Surveys of northeastern Iowa in the 19th and early 20th centuries documented more than 10,000 earthen mounds of all types. It is thought that most of these were created between 750 and 1,400 years ago by American Indians, or some say by their predecessors. Exactly who built the mounds and what their purpose was is still being debated. The tragedy is that most of the land on which the mounds stood was logged, plowed, and convereted into farmland by early Eurpoean/American settlers. Today fewer than 1,000 (about 10%) of the mounds remain.

Effigy Mounds National Monument was established on October 25, 1949, to protect 206 prehistoric mounds. Thirty-one of these take the form of animal effigies: birds, turtles, lizards, bison and bears. They are in a very picturesque setting, high on bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River. It is a place of mystery and wonder.

• Last visit to Effigy Mounds National Monument: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 24, 2004

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2006 at 7:14 PM

This looks like a really interesting place to visit, I'll have to remember it for the next time we are looking for a weekend away close to home :-)

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2006 at 4:19 AM

Awesome view of the Mississippi River. Boardwalks are wonderful ways to view nature, especially bird watching. Interesting little page Stephen.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2005 at 12:53 PM

What a grand teacher you would have made. A wealth of knowledge told in interesting, easy-to-understand language. I could close my eyes and see it all. Great photos to accompany your ever excellent narration.

• XtravelloverX's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2005 at 11:40 AM

Great page and tips, I think we're going to go here one of these upcoming weekends! Happy travels. :^)

• jodssmile's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2004 at 10:09 AM

My grandparents had farm with above ground burial ancient indianbuilt mounds.Have pics of them by them. They respected them,But next owner removed them.We still find tons of indian objects by one of cousins farms,arrowheads to pottery!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2004 at 6:49 PM

Thanks for the National Monument I would have never known about!

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2004 at 7:53 AM

Both fascinating & also beautfiul! If I ever get back to the U.S. I'd love to visit this place. Thanks for helping me learn about this!

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2004 at 6:16 PM

Wonderful new page! Sounds like a great hike and very helpful info. Great view from Fire point overlook! Love the photos. :o)

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2004 at 7:35 AM

What a wonderful looking place! Very interesting page with lovely photos. Well Done as always!:)

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2004 at 8:21 AM

Excellent! I love the view from the overlook! I definitely need to incorporate this into my next cross country road trip:)

Badges & Stats in Effigy Mounds National Monument

Have you been to Effigy Mounds National Monument?

Latest Activity in Effigy Mounds National Monument