"Dubuque: Iowa's First City" Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque by Stephen-KarenConn

Dubuque Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 130 photos

Mention the Mississippi River and many great river towns come to mind: New Orleans, Natchez, Memphis, St. Louis. . . . But no town is more proud of it's Mississippi River heritage, or showcases the river any better, than Dubuque Iowa, home of "America's River" and the Mississippi River Museum.

Dubuque is a historic town - the oldest in Iowa. It is perched on the western bank of the Mississippi across from the northwestern tip of Illinois and the southwestern tip of Wisconsin.

Karen and I first went to Dubuque on business, but we made so many delightful discoveries that we stayed to play. There's much to see and do here. Come with us on a virtual tour and explore some of the many hidden jewels in this fascinating river town.

• Last visit to Dubuque: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 11, 2006

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2010 at 12:06 PM

A relative told me of the unique sites at this quite and nice city. YOur comments and pictures affirm that viewpoint; guess I need to get there. Great job of describing the area.

• Dec 8, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Kinda a harsh comment, each to their own....

• ferdnbean's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Your down to earth, comfortable writing style and travel advice are assets to the numerous VT pages you have contributed. Best wishes for your many more happy travels. Ferd

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Lovelly pages on a place I've never heard of.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2007 at 10:07 AM

Since Jill Martin and I are visiting Iowa along the Mississippi in May, just had to study and keep as part of travelogue your terrific pages on Dubuque. Your pages are better than anything I've seen.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Lovely page, very nice to visit. Crystal Lake Cave looks great ;-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Interesting tips on a town with much more history that I would have thought. We used to go camping across the river on the Illinois side, but somehow I never made it over to Dubuque. Congratulations on the award for your book!

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Hey! This is my old somping grounds. Dubuque, Clinton IA and Freeport, IL have always had an annual high school band festival (Tri Double I). I loved going to Dubuque for these festivals in the early 80s!

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2006 at 9:24 AM

Great Dubuque page! We have never been there, but it definitely looks interesting. Kind of reminds us of Paducah, our favorite underrated river city.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2006 at 9:07 AM

Wow, what a great page and a wonderful little gem of a town. Congrats on your book too! that is marvelous. Oh, Julien Dubuque Monument would catch my attention of exploration for sure. Happy Trails!!:-)

Badges & Stats in Dubuque

Have you been to Dubuque?

Latest Activity in Dubuque