"Molokai: An Island Lost in Time" Top 5 Page for this destination Molokai by Stephen-KarenConn

Molokai Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 244 photos

Tourists flock to Oahu and Maui by the hundreds of thousands. A relative handful of intrepid travelers venture to Molokai. With only two hotels and scant restaurants, Molokai has a totally different feel from the touristy glitz of it's better known neighbor islands. On the entire island there is not a single traffic light, nor is there a single building with an elevator in it. If you like bright lights, noise, and 24/7 action, stay in Waikiki. For those who want to experience the old Hawaii - the way it used to be - come to Molokai, "The Forbidden Isle."

Karen and I chose this as the last stop of our three island November trip, and it was without doubt our favorite. We only had four days here; four months would not have been too much.

• Pros:Few commercial establishments.
  • Cons:Subway is the only fast food place on the island.
  • In a nutshell:Uncomercialized Hawaii without all the crowds.
  • Last visit to Molokai: Nov 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 17, 2004

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Your Kalaupapa Mule ride made me jittery;it reminded me of riding in Arizona recently. I've ridden alot myself, but a bad trail is a bad trail. I was truly grateful to several horses & their inate wisdom for carrying me through it all safely! Nice page.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2008 at 2:36 PM

phallic rock ? well at least it's always hard i suppose !

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2005 at 3:55 PM

Molokai"i Mo' Betta!! Glad to hear they brought the mule ride back - great experience, bith the ride and the colony.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2005 at 9:14 PM

Oh, wow! What a neat little trip to Molokai tonight. Thanks so much for your comments about my Augusta page. I have had a lot of fun with it! Enjoy your Hawaii trip! Marcia

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2005 at 10:39 PM

I love your Molokai tips your writng style is great and the pictures are beautiful, GREAT JOB. I have been to the other Islands so many times but your pages convince me we should wait no more to get to Molokai.

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2005 at 7:04 PM

Your Molokai pages are great. I have added some tips to my travel guide. Been to Hawaii too numerous to count but not Molokai soon...soon.

• aloha088's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2004 at 7:17 AM

Hi Stephen, what a wonderful Molokai page... I loved Molokai because there were hardly any tourists. There is a Subway? we only found KFC in Maunaloa :-)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2004 at 10:04 PM

Stephen, what a lovely, genuine tribute to Molokai. Bittersweet information about Kalaupapa National Historic Park. Condo sounds wonderful, and the beach looks like Paradise, indeed.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2004 at 7:44 PM

Thank you for the great tips. I am thinking of going to Molokai next time.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2004 at 6:59 PM

Nice page on this very special place! I'm so scared of heights we walked down the trail to Kalaupapa (I couldn't trust a mule!)!

Badges & Stats in Molokai

Have you been to Molokai?

Latest Activity in Molokai