"Stone Mountain State Memorial Park" Stone Mountain State Memorial Park by Stephen-KarenConn

Georgia's Stone Mountain is the name of a town, a mountain, and also a State Memorial Park - the most visited tourist destination in the state of Georgia. The mountain is the largest chunk of exposed granite in the world and on it's side is the world's largest stone carving - a fitting tribute to the late great Confederate States of America.

One of my early childhood memories is of being taken to Stone Mountain by my grandfather who lived in nearby Atlanta, when I was only 5 or 6 years old. I've re-visited Stone Mountain perhaps a dozen times since then. My most recent trip to Stone Mountain was in the late Summer of 2007 with my own grandchildren, Alexandria and Nicholas (Alex & Nick). All of the photos on this page are taken from that trip.

• Last visit to Stone Mountain State Memorial Park: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 18, 2008

• BROOKS's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Looks really nice, your little ones are very cute children. I have never been on a skylift. Well, I want to do it in Brazil one day. I'm very scared of heights though:-)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2008 at 2:07 PM

What happens if you don't catch your thrown biscuit? Do you get more than one shot at it? I didn't know this park existed, thanks for the look!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Alex and Nick are adorable. This is really a 5-star page, Stephen. [Even though it is the Confederate viewpoint ...grin] As always, it's such a pleasure to read you expertly written tips.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2008 at 3:29 AM

Lovely page on Stone Mountain. Lots of great ways to see and get around the Park - Scenic Railroad - Skylift - River Boat. That is one huge rock mural.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2007 at 7:23 AM

Sorry, visited too soon. Shall return.... That rock carving is absolutely incedible!!!

Badges & Stats in Stone Mountain State Memorial Park

Have you been to Stone Mountain State Memorial Park?