"Crawfordville, Taliaferro County, Georgia" Crawfordville by Stephen-KarenConn

Crawfordville Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 61 photos

Crawfordville, a small town in east central Georgia, is just off Interstate 20, about 93 miles east of Atlanta and 57 miles west of Augusta. It is the county seat of Taliaferro County, one of the smallest and poorest counties in Georgia. In fact, Crawfordville is almost a ghost town, with most of the buildings in the downtown area now standing empty.

Less than an hour's drive to the east is Columbia County, Georgia, and slightly further to the west, Gwinnett County, Georgia - two of the fastest growing counties in the entire United States. But time seems to have completely forgotten poor little Crawfordville.

Still, Crawfordville is rich in historic interest and holds a dear place in my heart for many reasons, some of which I will share in the accompanying travel tips.

• Last visit to Crawfordville: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Dec 10, 2007

• doug48's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2008 at 7:17 AM

great page. i zoom down I-20 on business between atlanta and augusta frequently and now i will take the time to visit this interesting town. thanks! doug48

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Thanx for another good reminder of why we are glad we relocated to Georgia in 1978 - we left Michigan and never looked back and have never been sorry. Crawfordville - one of my favorties and very well done. Marcia

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2008 at 6:30 PM

As always, a very well written page - especially the fate of Bill's Grocery & Meats store. Old towns like this hold a fascination for me too - wandering through their graveyards and reading the inscriptions. A beautiful area nonetheless!

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2007 at 8:33 AM

I know what would jump start revitalization in Crawfordsville...a Kristy McNichol film festival! Seriously, great write-up on an interesting historical destination.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2007 at 8:12 AM

Little towns with a place in history are always worth a visit. The first time I heard the term The War Between the States was when we visited Washington GA - nice to know now who coined it. leyle

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2007 at 2:12 PM

A history lesson, indeed. I smiled when you said the campers thought the camp was named after you. Great photographs to create the aura of this small town with lots to offer for history buffs. Great work.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2007 at 12:14 PM

I always enjoy visiting historic sites. Thanks for sharing Crawdordville. Excellent page. Cheers, SL :)

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2007 at 6:47 PM

Golucke Park looks amazing. Though the town of Crawfordville looks empty, I would still love to experience the life that is so simple.

Badges & Stats in Crawfordville

Have you been to Crawfordville?

Latest Activity in Crawfordville