"New Echota - Cherokee Capital, State Historic Site" Calhoun by Stephen-KarenConn
Calhoun Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 17 photos
In 1825, the Cherokee national legislature established a capital called New Echota, near present-day Calhoun, at the headwaters of the Oostanaula River. New Echota marked a change in Cherokee government from a matriarical clan system to a new constitution and form of government with a legislature and court patterned after that of the United States.
The first Indian language newspaper was published here, and a court case was heard which was carried all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. A treaty, which the vast majority of Cherokees believed to be fraudulent, was signed at New Echota in 1835, relinquishing Cherokee claims to lands east of the Mississippi River. This began the assembly of Indians for removal west on the infamous Trail of Tears, one of the blackest marks on American history.
Today, visitors can see several original and reconstructed buildings on a one-mile self-guided tour.
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Calhoun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Great Place to Stop for Lunch off Interstate 75"
- "New Echota - Cherokee Capital, State Historic Site"
- "NEW ECHOTA INDIAN PRESERVATION SITE"
- "Basaic Calhoun Page"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Calhoun
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Calhoun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calhoun
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- updated a Calhoun Travel Page "New Echota - Cherokee Capital, State Historic Site"
- Uploaded a Photo to "New Echota - Cherokee Capital, State Historic Site"
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos