"Tombstone, Arizona: When the West was Wild" Top 5 Page for this destination Tombstone by Stephen-KarenConn
Tombstone Travel Guide: 214 reviews and 711 photos
If Tombstone did not have such an incredibly violent and interesting past, it would probably have no present. It would be just like so many other ghost mining towns in the American Southwest, abandoned and forgotten. But this is the site of the most famous gun battle in the history of the west - the shootout at OK Coral. It is place of the first Bootheel Graveyard, the infamous Birdcage Theatre, and The Epitath, Arizona's first newspaper, still being published after more than 120 years. This is the legendary Tombstone: the town too tough to die.
The West's wildest mining town owes its beginning to Ed Schieffelin, who prospected the nearby hills in 1877. Friends warned him that all he would ever find would be his own tombstone. But instead of an Apache bullet, he found silver - ledges of it - and the rush was on. Miners soon built a shantytown on the closest level space to the mines, then known as Goose Flats. Remembering the grim prophecy given to Schieffelin, and with tongue in cheek, they changed the name to Tombstone.
In the early 1880s Tombstone reached a population of 10,000, however, within eight short years Tombstone's heyday was over. Today it is once again a thriving town, albeit smaller than in the early 1880s. Now people come here not seeking silver, but hoping for a glimpse, however distant, of the West when it was really wild. They will not be dissapointed.
Karen and I thoroughly enjoyed strolling up and down Allen Street, the main street of Tombstone, on the authentic old... more travel advice
Next door to the O.K. Corral you will find Tombstone's Historama. Every half hour there is a dramatic 26-minute... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Tombstone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Legend of American Old West"
- "Tombstone, Arizona: When the West was Wild"
- "Tombstone - Part History, Part Kitsch"
- "Jumping Around Tombstone!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tombstone
- Hotels in Tombstone
- Transportation in Tombstone
- Nightlife in Tombstone
- Restaurants in Tombstone
- Shopping in Tombstone
- Warnings and Dangers in Tombstone
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tombstone
- 17 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Tombstone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tombstone
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- updated a Tombstone Travel Page "Tombstone, Arizona: When the West was Wild"
- Wrote a Review Authentic Old Wooden Sidewalks in Tombstone Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Official Tombstone Vistitor Center"
- Commented on one of zrim's Tombstone travel pages
Photos in TombstoneSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos