"Powhatan, Lawrence County, Arkansas" Powhatan by Stephen-KarenConn
Powhatan Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 39 photos
Powhatan, a tiny village of 50 people on the banks of the Black River, is one of the oldest towns in Arkansas. In the 19th century it was a busy river port. Today the town consists primarily of Powhatan Courthouse State Park, a church, and a few houses.
The area was occupied by Osage Indians until they were removed to a reservation in 1817. Settlers of European descent arrived shortly thereafter. A ferry was established across the Black River in 1820, and the first steamboat, the Laurel, arrived in 1829.
The town is named for Indian chief Powhatan, father of the Pocahontas. In the early 17th century, Powhatan's empire covered most of what is today the eastern part of the state of Virginia.
Powhatan is located in Lawrence County in the northeastern corner of Arkansas, on AR-25. The historic courthouse and other buildings preserved by the state park are very interesting and definitely worth a visit.
On a rocky outcrop in front of the Powhatan Courthouse is this simple monument which was erected in 1936 to celebrate... more travel advice
The Powhatan Male and Female Academy, on a hill just east of the Post Office, was estabished in 1854 and the current... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Powhatan Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Powhatan
- 14 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (177)
Have you been to Powhatan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Powhatan
Photos in PowhatanSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos