"Buffalo National River" Buffalo River National Park by Stephen-KarenConn
Buffalo River National Park Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 84 photos
The National Park Service of the United States oversees a very diverse collection of sites throughout the country. There are National Parks, National Monuments, National Historic Sites, National Seashores, National Recreation Areas, National Battlefields and much more. The Buffalo River in the Ozark Mountains of northern Arkansas is the first in the country to be designated a National River.
As a National River the Buffalo becomes a kind of 135-mile-long linear Park. Most of this very scenic and pristine free-flowing river is many miles from any road or human habitation. A few points along the the river are easily accessible, and contain historic sites, picnic shelters and camping areas. The stream itself is a magnet for canoeists, rafters, fishermen, and nature lovers of all types.
The Buffalo became a National River in 1972, on the centennial of the establishment of Yellowstone as our nation's first National Park. In so doing, the little-known river escaped years of proposed damming. Today, the Buffalo National River flows unhindered through 95,700 acres of rugged and remote wilderness. Along it's banks are more than more than 100 miles of hiking trails and 14 designated campgrounds containing more than 200 sites. With its clear cool sparkling waters, towering sandstone bluffs, and abundant wildlife, the Buffalo is no no doubt one of America's finest free-flowing rivers.
The entire 135-mile length of the Buffalo National River is well off the beaten path. There are no gateway communities... more travel advice
Buffalo National River not only preserves the river itself, but also several areas of historical and cultural interest.... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Buffalo River National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "National River Park"
- "Buffalo National River"
- "Wild and Wonderful"
- "Upper Buffalo Wilderness Area"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Buffalo River National Park
- Hotels in Buffalo River National Park
- Shopping in Buffalo River National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Buffalo River National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Buffalo River National Park
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Buffalo River National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Buffalo River National Park
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- updated a Buffalo River National Park Travel Page "Buffalo National River"
- Uploaded a Photo to "You're in the Country Now"
- Wrote a Review You're in the Country Now in Buffalo River National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of grandmaR's Buffalo River National Park travel pages
Photos in Buffalo River National ParkSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos