"Russell Cave National Monument, Alabama" Russell Cave National Monument by Stephen-KarenConn

For almost 9,000 years Russell Cave, in northeastern Alabama, was used for human habitation. This well preserved site offers one of the longest and most complete archeological records in the eastern United States.

Russell Cave National Monument was established on May 11, 1961, when the cave and surrounding 310 acres were donated by the National Geographic Society to the American people.

• In a nutshell:One of America's Lesser Visited National Monuments
  • Last visit to Russell Cave National Monument: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 25, 2005

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Just recently visited Russell Cave. Buy the $2.00 book if you are there next time and read the history of it. It's pretty good!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2007 at 5:13 AM

Interesting find and exhibition. Glad to hear most of the animals natives used to hunt for still are present in the area.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2006 at 11:30 AM

Great tips. Sounds like fun trip we may have to make!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2005 at 8:34 AM

Good info. I love caves and we do have a few decent ones in England. At least we don't have poison ivy or many snakes.

• travelgirl3's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2005 at 10:58 AM

Very interesting page. I imagine the native Americans would have found the misty stream as other-wordly. Great photos.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 7:57 AM

I didn't know it was a felony to remove artifacts! Man... I better put all that sand from my shorts back at Padre Island!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2004 at 4:03 PM

Very interesting information that is new to me. The cave looks phenomenal! Great place to hike. Great warnings about poison ivy and how to treat the environment. Super work!

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2004 at 5:34 PM

Alabama has so many beautiful things to see, I love this state. Much like all the wonderful things AL has to offer, this is not very well known--excellent overview of Russell Cave!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2004 at 8:13 AM

Wow, what a neat place for sure. Looks so beautiful and I am sure you all enjoyed it! Great tips!

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2004 at 7:42 AM

great page, what an interesting place to visit. I would do anything to avoid a snake!

Badges & Stats in Russell Cave National Monument

Have you been to Russell Cave National Monument?