"There's No Place Like Nome!" Top 5 Page for this destination Nome by Stephen-KarenConn
Nome Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 100 photos
"Nome" is said to be an abbreviation for "No Name," and to many people it sounds like the end of the world - which it is. Nome sits at one of the westernmost points of the North American continent on Norton Sound of the Bering Sea, 102 miles south of the Arctic Circle and 160 miles east of Siberia. No highways connect Nome to the outside world, although there are about 300 miles of roads which lead to nearby villages. Nome is 539 air miles from Anchorage.
Nome is unlike most other small isolated towns in Alaska in that it did not have its beginnings as an Eskimo settlement, although nearly half of the 3,500 inhabitants today are of Native American decent. The town was officially established in 1901, as a gold-rush boomtown, and it still has the look and feel of the old wild west. The fabulous wealth of Nome's nugget-rich hills and beaches of gold drew a population of 20,000 during its heyday. Gold mining and tourism are still major factors in keeping the town alive into the 21st century.
The Bering Land Bridge National Preserve is one of the most remote areas administered by the U.S. National Park Service.... more travel advice
There are a handful of shops along Nome's Front Street which cater to tourists. This is one in which I especially... more travel advice
- See All Carrie M. McClain Memorial Museum
- Be Prepared for Cold Weather
- The Stormy Bering Sea
- Century Old Watering Hole
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Nome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "There's No Place Like Nome!"
- "Nome, Alaska"
- "Gold rush Boom Town"
- "My mom and son call Nome "Home"!"
- "Small town with a big heart"
- "Skylink's Nome Alaska Page"
- "Nome Sweet Home!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nome
- Hotels in Nome
- Transportation in Nome
- Nightlife in Nome
- Restaurants in Nome
- Shopping in Nome
- Warnings and Dangers in Nome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nome
- 22 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Nome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nome
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos