"There's No Place Like Nome!" Top 5 Page for this destination Nome by Stephen-KarenConn

Nome Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 96 photos

"Nome" is said to be an abbreviation for "No Name," and to many people it sounds like the end of the world - which it is. Nome sits at one of the westernmost points of the North American continent on Norton Sound of the Bering Sea, 102 miles south of the Arctic Circle and 160 miles east of Siberia. No highways connect Nome to the outside world, although there are about 300 miles of roads which lead to nearby villages. Nome is 539 air miles from Anchorage.

Nome is unlike most other small isolated towns in Alaska in that it did not have its beginnings as an Eskimo settlement, although nearly half of the 3,500 inhabitants today are of Native American decent. The town was officially established in 1901, as a gold-rush boomtown, and it still has the look and feel of the old wild west. The fabulous wealth of Nome's nugget-rich hills and beaches of gold drew a population of 20,000 during its heyday. Gold mining and tourism are still major factors in keeping the town alive into the 21st century.

• Last visit to Nome: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 27, 2005

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2007 at 8:45 AM

Very interesting information and pictures, I enjoyed a lot. Well, $350 to get there seems a bit a lot for me :-(. Well, who knows, maybe someday I will see Bering Sea from this side :-)

• blue_sky04's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2005 at 5:02 PM

Interesting page of Nome. I was thinking to visit it when I traveled to Alaska. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it. Now I can virtually travel to this land through your page. Thanks:-) ~ Fenny

• canuckmike's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2005 at 11:29 PM

Brilliant title. Your page is well done also.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2005 at 4:38 PM

Another stellar page, Stephen. I don't how I missed this one before. Great information and hints for travelers. Always know I will have an enjoyable read when I select your pages.

• ferdnbean's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2005 at 8:42 PM

Not one of the more well nome torist towns...but great info and photos and commentary!! I wish I could have gone over when I was in Alaska! Wayne

• saraheg77's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2005 at 2:03 PM

*Brrrr* I got cold just reading about this place! =) I'm glad I'm going someplace tropical on my honeymoon, although the inn in Nome looks very cute! :)

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2004 at 10:35 AM

Great page on Nome. I believe its the northern most city in the US.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2004 at 12:12 PM

what an interesting location and great pics ! ...I am sure, "mining the miners" is the very best way to make money in a gold-rush !

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2004 at 4:47 PM

I'd much rather see the Iditarod than the SuperBowl or World Series too! How great to visit the sled dog training center here! And to pan for your own gold, too!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2004 at 3:16 PM

Some great pictures and tips. You make me want to visit again. I miss Alaska!!!

Badges & Stats in Nome