Fairbanks Off The Beaten Path Tips by Stephen-KarenConn Top 5 Page for this destination
Fairbanks Off The Beaten Path: 42 reviews and 45 photos
Alaska Public Lands Information Center
The Alaska Public Lands Information Center is located downtown Fairbanks at the corner at 250 Cushman Street and 3rd Avenue. But the lands it represents are definitely off the beaten path. Alaska has far more federally owned public lands than any other state: National Parks, National Forests, Wildlife Refuges, Preserves and more. This is an excellent place to get information on any or all of them.
The Center offers an ongoing series of special events, both offsite and onsite, including films on dog mushing, the gold rush, wildlife, and a variety of other topics of interest to the outdoorsperson.
You have already paid for this service with your tax dollars, so take advantage of it.
Creamer's Field Visitors Center
In the old farm house, next to Creamer's Field, is the Visitors Center. During summer volunteer naturalists lead guided walks on the refuge from here. The center also contains a gift shop and exhibits about the wildlife that may bew viewed in the refuge. In addition to migratory birds , other wildlife which one may see include moose, red fox, snowshoe hare, squirrel and others.
This house, the dairy barn, and other structures are the only surviving pioneer dairy buildings in Interior Alaska. They were admitted to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
The Visitors Center is owned by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game and staffed by a community-based nonprofit organization, Friends of Creamer's Field. Special educational events are held here throughout the year.
Sandhill Cranes and Canadian Geese at Creamers
Creamer's Dairy was established during the gold rush at the turn of the century and continued to develop, enlarge and operate until 1966. As the dairy grew over the years, migratory waterfowl congregated at Creamer's Field in increasing numbers. The grain and large open fields provided prime habitat. When the dairy went up for sale in 1966, the community raised money to ensure the farm fields were preserved so the birds would continue to stopover along their migratory route. The farm is now managed by the state of Alaska as part of the 1800 acre Creamer's Refuge.
On Creamer's Refuge, a mosaic of forests, wetlands, and fields supplies wildlife with a wide variety of food resources, shelter, and nesting sites. But most of all, Creamer's Refuge is important to migratory birds such as the Sandhill Cranes and Canadian Geese which depended on the prime habitat to feed and rest each spring and fall enroute to their nesting sites further north, or their wintering gounds to the south. I was fortunate to be here in late summer to see the fields full of cranes and geese.
Visitor Activities include three nature trails leading through boreal borest, wetlands and along the farm road. Winter activities include cross-country skiing, dog musyhing and Skijoring. Sections of the refuge are open to hunting and trapping during the appropriate seasons.
Other Contact: College Road, Fairbanks, Alaska
More Reviews (21)
- A Little of Everything in One Place
- Alaska Aflame
- See All A City of Flowers
- See All Immaculate Conception Church
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Fairbanks Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fairbanks: The Golden Heart of Alaska"
- "Fairbanks - The Golden Heart of Alaska"
- "Studying @ UAF - University of Alaska Fairbanks"
- "Fairbanks, April 2004"
- "Golden Heart City"
- "Cabin Life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fairbanks
- Hotels in Fairbanks
- Transportation in Fairbanks
- Nightlife in Fairbanks
- Restaurants in Fairbanks
- Shopping in Fairbanks
- Warnings and Dangers in Fairbanks
- See All...
Explore the World
- Wolfartsweier Hotels
- Maibara Hotels
- Prefecture of the Cyclades
- Yokosuka Hotels
- Loch Humphrey Hotels
- Kiawah Island
- Münster Off The Beaten Path
- Fussen Off The Beaten Path
- Parry Sound Off The Beaten Path
- Burma Off The Beaten Path
- Capri Off The Beaten Path
- Tunis Off The Beaten Path
- Butuan City Off The Beaten Path
- Hinton Off The Beaten Path
- Algarve Off The Beaten Path
- Subotica Off The Beaten Path
- Quinta da Regaleira
Badges & Stats in Fairbanks
- 24 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Fairbanks?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fairbanks
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- Commented on one of Aurora907's Fairbanks travel pages
- updated a Fairbanks Travel Page "Fairbanks: The Golden Heart of Alaska"
- Wrote a Review Alaska Public Lands Information Center in Fairbanks Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alaska Public Lands Information Center"
Photos in FairbanksSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos
Latest Fairbanks hotel reviews
- SpringHill Suites Fairbanks
- 204 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Pike's Waterfront Lodge
- 299 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Wedgewood Resort
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- Rivers Edge Resort
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Best Value Inn-Fairbanks
- 1 Review & Opinion
- 7 Gables Inn And Suites
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Regency Fairbanks Hotel
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge
- 191 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Billie's Backpackers Hostel
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Hotel Fairbanks
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Sophie Station
- 146 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Frog Pond Bed and Breakfast Fairbanks
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2006
- Golden North Motel
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2013
- All Seasons Inn
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 13, 2013