"Fairbanks: The Golden Heart of Alaska" Top 5 Page for this destination Fairbanks by Stephen-KarenConn
Fairbanks Travel Guide: 317 reviews and 508 photos
Fairbanks is Alaska's second largest city with a population of 30,000 in the city and 85,000 in the Fairbanks North Star Borough. It is located in the interior of Alaska, 192 miles south of the Arctic Circle and 100 miles north of Denali National Park.
Fairbanks was established in 1901, as a trading post on the banks of the Chena River in the Tanana Valley by E. T. Barnette from Ohio. Barnette named the new town in honor of Indiana Senator Charles Fairbanks, who later became a Vice President of the United States.
Gold was discovered near the new town in 1902, and by 1908 it had become the largest, busiest city in the Alaska Territory, boasting electric lights, city sewer , fire and police protection, a courthouse, jail, hospital, school, library and three newspapers.
Summer temperatures in Fairbanks average around 60 F, but can range to 85 F or more, as they were in my recent visit there. Almost 24 hours of daylight at the summer soltice allow for a "Midnight Sun Baseball Game" to be played every summer with no artifical lighting. In winter, temperatures of -20 F are not unusual, with a record low of -66. Winter snowfall averages 68.9 inches. Fairbanks is considered one of the best places on earth to view the northern lights.
The Alaska Public Lands Information Center is located downtown Fairbanks at the corner at 250 Cushman Street and 3rd... more travel advice
The first few days during my recent trip to Alaska were under clear skies with almost unlimited visibility. When I... more travel advice
- See All Immaculate Conception Church
- See All Fabulous Buffet in a Gold Camp Mess Hall
- Music and Fun in a Historic Gold Camp
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Fairbanks Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fairbanks: The Golden Heart of Alaska"
- "Fairbanks - The Golden Heart of Alaska"
- "Studying @ UAF - University of Alaska Fairbanks"
- "Fairbanks, April 2004"
- "Golden Heart City"
- "Cabin Life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fairbanks
- Hotels in Fairbanks
- Transportation in Fairbanks
- Nightlife in Fairbanks
- Restaurants in Fairbanks
- Shopping in Fairbanks
- Warnings and Dangers in Fairbanks
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fairbanks
- 24 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (175)
Have you been to Fairbanks?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fairbanks
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- Commented on one of Aurora907's Fairbanks travel pages
- updated a Fairbanks Travel Page "Fairbanks: The Golden Heart of Alaska"
- Wrote a Review Alaska Public Lands Information Center in Fairbanks Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alaska Public Lands Information Center"
Photos in FairbanksSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos