Barrow Hotel Tips by Stephen-KarenConn Top 5 Page for this destination
Barrow Hotels: 151 reviews and 10 photos
King Eider Inn
I had only planned a daytrip to Barrow and arrived in the morning with no luggage, expecting to take the evening flight back to Fairbanks. Just 10 minutes before that plane was scheduled to arrive in Barrow a very thick fog blew in off the Arctic Ocean and the plane was turned back. How great, I thought, an unexpected opportunity to spend a night above the Arctic Circle.
I walked immediately across the street from the airport to King Eider Inn, named for the Arctic duck. The lobby was bright and modern with a large inviting fireplace. This is a family owned hotel, built in 1998. A sign informed guests to take their shoes off at the front door, which I did.
Unfortunately, no rooms were available, so I had to go to plan "B." That was fine with me; their rooms were too expensive anyway.
Unique Qualities: Small, modern, convenient, expensive.
Address: 1725 Ahkovak Street, Barrow, AK 99723
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Directly across the street from the airport.
Price: US$180 and up
Top of the World Hotel
The tour I took with Tundra Tours Inc. was headquartered in this hotel, and I had been in the lobby and used the free internet access there before I was in need of a room. When our flight out of Barrow was canceled, this was the second place I sought an accomodation. Upon arriving, there was a long line at the registration desk - others who were stranded. By the time I got to the front of the line all the rooms were booked, and about six of us still needed a place to stay, so I went to plan "C."
Unique Qualities: Top of the World Hotel is a full-service hotel, adjacent to Pepe's North of the Border and close to other Restaurants. It is at the hub of Barrow, the center for community activities and tour groups.
Address: Alvic Street at Stevenson
Comparison: about average
Directions: Five or six blocks from the airport, on the Arctic Ocean.
Barrow Assembly of God Parsonage
After being turned away from all three hotels in Barrow because they had no room, I ended up getting a free night's lodging in this very nice four bedroom home. It is the parsonage of Barrow's Assembly of God Church.
I called the church and was fortunate to catch one of the deacons just leaving their Wednesday night service. He informed me that the church was currently without a pastor, although a new minister had been hired and was in process Moving to Barrow. After questioning me a bit, and consulting with another deacon, he offered me a free bed in the empty parsonage beside the church. These people were true Christians and kind to a stranger in need. May God bless them!
Directions: About two blocks from Top of the World Hotel.
Airport Inn, Barrow, Alaska
This small, 16 room hotel is the third place I sought refuge when I was stranded in Barrow for the night. The young man at the desk regretfully informed me that they were full. He said that he did not know of any options other than the two hotels that had already turned me away. He did offer to let me spend the night in his lobby if I couldn't find anything else, but frankly the lobby didn't look too comfortable. There was no carpet on the floor and no couch to sleep on. Still I thanks him and kept his offer open, but told him I would first try plan "D."
Address: 1815 Momegana Street, Barrow, AK 99723
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Corner of Momegana and Okpik Streets, about one and a half blocks from the airport.
More Reviews (20)
- See All Bearded Seal Skin Whaling Boats
- Watch for Polar Bears
- See All Barrow National Forest
- Join the Polar Bear Club
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Barrow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barrow, Alaska: Northernmost City in North America"
- "yeah_baby's Barrow - Top of the World"
- "North 71 17.10 West 156 46.01"
- "Yohaho's new Barrow Page"
- "Barrow, Alaska in 1960"
- "Sierrak's new Barrow Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barrow
- Hotels in Barrow
- Transportation in Barrow
- Nightlife in Barrow
- Restaurants in Barrow
- Shopping in Barrow
- Warnings and Dangers in Barrow
- See All...
Explore the World
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel OSU & Expo Center
- Staybridge Suites Newcastle
- Days Inn and Conference Center - Allentown
- InterContinental The Palace Port Ghalib Resort
- Marriott Residence Inn Portland Downtown River Place
- Julietta House
- Heathfield Bed and Breakfast
- Jehlum Resorts Jammu
- Safari Lodge
- Ibis Paris Alesia Montparnasse
- HOTEL PANORAMA
- European Village Resort
- Purple Orchid Inn, Resort & Spa
- GHD Inn (Donghu) Shenzhen
Badges & Stats in Barrow
- 24 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Barrow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barrow
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bearded Seal Skin Whaling Boats"
- updated a Barrow Travel Page "Barrow, Alaska: Northernmost City in North America"
- Commented on one of sswagner's Barrow travel pages
- Wrote a Review Bearded Seal Skin Whaling Boats in Barrow Local Customs
Photos in BarrowSee All Photos (27)
Read real reviews about Barrow Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos