"Barrow, Alaska: Northernmost City in North America" Top 5 Page for this destination Barrow by Stephen-KarenConn
Barrow Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 142 photos
Situated 330 miles north of the Arctic Circle, Barrow is the northernmost incorporated city in North America and the largest Inupiat Eskimo community in the world. It is the seat of government for the North Slope Borough, and serves as regional center for the sparsely populated 89,000-square-mile borough - the largest municipality on earth. In land area the North Slope is larger than the states of Ohio and Pennsylvania combined.
Barrow was called Utqiagvik by it its Inupiat founders, meaning "The place where we hunt snowy owls." Because of its key location at the junction of the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas on the Arctic Ocean, Barrow became an important whaling site. The town remains a center of subsistence whaling and harvesting of other land and water species.
The City has a population of around 4,500 people, unconnected to any other community by road. Within the 21-square-mile city limits are 28 miles of roadway, none of them paved. There are three distinct areas of settlement: the traditional Inupiat community of Barrow, the former Naval Arctic Research Laboratory (NARL), and portions of the former Distant Early Warning (DEW) Line station.
This is the high arctic, a true land of contrasts. Although considered a desert, with less than five inches of precipitation per year, summer finds the ground covered with ponds and puddles of water because melting snow cannot penetrate the permanently frozen ground below. Also in summer the "Midnight Sun" does not dip below the horizon for 82 consecutive days. In winter the sun will not appear for 64 days. Yet even in winter Barrow is not completely dark because the northern lights dance across the sky and light from the moon and stars illuminates the snow with an unbelievable brightness.
When the ice first breaks in summer several species of whale migrate near the shoreline at Barrow. This bearded seal... more travel advice
Barrow's reigning "Miss Top of the World" and a young friend are seen here modeling winter wear at the Inupiat Heritage... more travel advice
- Join the Polar Bear Club
- See All Wading in the Arctic Ocean
- See All My free night in Barrow
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Barrow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barrow, Alaska: Northernmost City in North America"
- "yeah_baby's Barrow - Top of the World"
- "North 71 17.10 West 156 46.01"
- "Yohaho's new Barrow Page"
- "Barrow, Alaska in 1960"
- "Sierrak's new Barrow Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barrow
- Hotels in Barrow
- Transportation in Barrow
- Nightlife in Barrow
- Restaurants in Barrow
- Shopping in Barrow
- Warnings and Dangers in Barrow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barrow
- 24 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Barrow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barrow
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bearded Seal Skin Whaling Boats"
- updated a Barrow Travel Page "Barrow, Alaska: Northernmost City in North America"
- Commented on one of sswagner's Barrow travel pages
- Wrote a Review Bearded Seal Skin Whaling Boats in Barrow Local Customs
Photos in BarrowSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos