Anchorage Transportation Tips by Stephen-KarenConn Top 5 Page for this destination
Anchorage Transportation: 46 reviews and 49 photos
Anchorage Depot: The Alaska Railroad
The Alaska Railroad runs from Anchorage south to Seward and north to Fairbanks. It provides a very scenic and popular way to see America's last frontier, including some areas where there is no other road. Although I did not ride the Alaska Railroad here in Anchorage, I did have taken a trip on it from Talkeetna north to Denali, and considered it to be one of the highlights of my visits to Alaska. Regular passenger service and special tours are both offered on this railroad which has been ranked as one of the best in the United States.
The beautifully preserved old steam engine on the pedestal in front of the depot was used in construction of the Panama Canal, then worked here in the Anchorage rail yard as a switch engine until its retirement.
411 West 1st Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99501
Anchorage Depot Hours:
Mon. - Fri. 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Sat. 6:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
The Depot Gift shop is also open during these hours.
Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport Tower
Alaska has six times more pilots per capita and 14 times as many airplanes per capita as the rest of the United States. The Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport serves 5 million passengers each year. Lake Hood, in Anchorage, is the largest and busiest seaplane base in the world with an average of 234 takeoffs and landings daily, and more than 800 on a busy summer day. Merrill Field records more than 207,000 flights each year and more than 1,200 on a peak day in July. This is because of the many remote villages and parks in Alaska which can not be reached by road and are easily accessible only by air.
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
More Reviews (28)
- Not as Frigid as You May Think
- See All Oscar Anderson House
- See All Wildlife Viewing
- See All Resolution Park
- See All A Flea Market to Remember
- Performing Arts in the Heart of the City
- Starting Line for the Iditarod Dog Sled...
- See All People Watch While You Eat
- Don't Get Stuck in the Mudflats
- A Great City for Hiking and...
- See All Convenient and Inexpensive
Been to Anchorage?Share your travels with the world!
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Anchorage Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not Alaska - But You Can See It From Here"
- "Alaskan Fun Starts Here"
- "Anchorage, Alaska: A Great City in The Great Land"
- "My 2 Alaskas"
- "Anchorage - Gateway to Wild Alaska"
- "frankcanfly's Anchorage Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Anchorage
- Hotels in Anchorage
- Transportation in Anchorage
- Nightlife in Anchorage
- Restaurants in Anchorage
- Shopping in Anchorage
- Warnings and Dangers in Anchorage
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ikotun Hotels
- Malawi Hotels
- Saint Louis
- North Hutchinson Island Hotels
- Chengannur Hotels
- Nigeria Transportation
- Baguio City Transportation
- Greece Transportation
- To & From The Airport
- Mendoza Transportation
- Amalfi Transportation
- Roscoff Transportation
- Vail Transportation
- Cambridge Transportation
- Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Transportation
- Hua Hin Transportation
- Cherbourg Transportation
Badges & Stats in Anchorage
- 30 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Anchorage?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anchorage
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- Commented on one of ringleader's Anchorage travel pages
- updated a Anchorage Travel Page "Anchorage, Alaska: A Great City in The Great Land"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Portage Glacier"
- Wrote a Review Not as Frigid as You May Think in Anchorage What to Pack
Photos in AnchorageSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos
Latest Anchorage hotel reviews
- The Voyager Hotel
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Quality Inn & Suites Airport
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 8, 2013
- Hotel Captain Cook
- 715 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Royal Suite Lodge
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2013
- Millennium Alaskan Hotel Anchorage
- 293 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Sheraton Anchorage Hotel
- 510 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Best Western Golden Lion Hotel
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Anchorage Downtown Bed and Breakfast at Raspberry Meadows
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Chelsea Inn Hotel
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 10, 2013
- Hilton Anchorage
- 432 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Comfort Inn Ship Creek
- 213 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Super 8 Motel - Anchorage
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2013
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Anchorage
- 239 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Springhill Suites By Marriott Achorage
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Marriott Anchorage Downtown
- 193 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013