"Anchorage, Alaska: A Great City in The Great Land" Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage by Stephen-KarenConn

Anchorage Travel Guide: 835 reviews and 1,559 photos

I love this city. On my first two visits to Alaska I made the mistake of rushing too quickly through Anchorage on my way to explore the vast Alaskan wilderness. More recently on a 15 day trip to The "Last Frontier," I spent about three days and four nights in Anchorage, which was not enough time to thoroughly explore this beautiful and interesting cosmopolitan city.

Anchorage is not big as cities go, with about 270,000 people, but it is by far the largest metropolis in Alaska. You can find just about everything here that you will find in San Francisco or New York, only on a much smaller scale.

It's popular in some circles to put Anchorage down. Even some Alaskans refer to it as "Los Anchorage," and I smiled with understanding when I heard another say that the beauty of Anchorage is that it is only 20 minutes from Alaska. My advice is that when you go to Alaska don't see only Anchorage and miss the Great Land. But don't overlook Anchorage either. It's a delightful town with much to offer.

• Last visit to Anchorage: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 18, 2005

• Oct 7, 2008 at 6:21 AM

My daughter and niece visited us in Anchorage. They went in every store to comparison shop. They reported the best prices were found at the Outdoor Market. I found fantastic sales at the end of August.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2008 at 8:53 AM

Aww, isn't Alaska beautiful?!! My fondiest memories are of Anchorage and Elmendorf AFB. We were stationed there many moons ago. So many take cruises there, but truly don't get to really see her unless you set foot on land. Glad you visited her!

• Ericasmurf99's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Our fingers are crossed for orders to Alaska (Elemendorf AFB). Such a beautiful state!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2008 at 6:43 AM

Nice tips!

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2007 at 5:49 PM

Fantastic pictues & tips. We are heading to Anchorage in 3 days so your tips are most helpful. That egg scramble sounds yummy &the Cook History was interesting.

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2006 at 1:30 PM

Enjoyed reading the history bits, beautiful pictures and great info! It must be a great place for growing special types of flowers.Will drop by soon again to RRR more of yr pages...Greetings from Hungary.Tim

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2005 at 3:45 PM

Nice job on Los Anchorage :) A thorough job with a nice touch. Have had the same experience at Rum Runners (service and local color).

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2005 at 2:25 AM

Very fine tips and recommendations to insure a traveler has a good stay in Anchorage. Looks like northern Minnesota winter experience a helpful precursor. Doug (^_^)

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2005 at 3:18 PM

Beautiful page on a very lovely looking place, but that mudflats story sounds pretty horrific!

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2005 at 12:40 PM

Not QUITE everything, we've still got no Trader Joe's or Chico's, whaa. Hey, thanks for writing such an excellent Anchorage page, you 've saved me from thinking I should! Now I can go back to work on one for Delta Junction...cat

Badges & Stats in Anchorage

Have you been to Anchorage?

Latest Activity in Anchorage