Saint Kitts and Nevis Things to Do Tips by Stephen-KarenConn Top 5 Page for this destination
Saint Kitts and Nevis Things to Do: 66 reviews and 173 photos
Brimstone Hill Fortress
The spectacular Brimstone Hill Fortress is not only a National Park but also a UNESCO World Heritage Site, because of its historical significance. Perched high on a hillside overlooking the Caribbean Sea, the forboding mass of Brimstone Hill Fort has been called "The Gibralter of the Caribbean." Construction of the fort began under British rule in 1690, and took a century to complete, mostly with African slave labor. The huge fort, with its five bastions and citadel, covers 38 acres, and is one of the largest engeering projects even undertaken in the Caribbean. The fort eventually became obsolete and was abandoned in 1852. However, extensive restoration work began in the 1960s, and it was reopened as a national park in 1982.
Open every day from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Adults: US $8.00
Children: US $4.00
Middle Island Chruch and Cemetery
When Christopher Columbus first arrived at this island on his second voyage, in 1493, he was so enamoured that he named it after himself and his patron saint, St. Christopher. Sir Thomas Warner became the first European settler on St. Christopher 130 years later, in 1623. He adapted the shorter version of the name, St. Kitts, and it has stuck ever since.
Warner lived on St. Kitts for 25 years, until his death in 1648. He also served as the first governor of the island. St. Kitts became the first permanent British and French settlement in the region, and was a strategic base for settling other islands such as Antigua, Martinque and Anguilla. Warner's tomb and a historical exhibit may be found here in the MIddle Island church yard.
Directions: At the very small village of Middle Island, about half way between Basseterre and the north end of St. Kitts, on the Atlantic coast.
More Reviews (8)
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Saint Kitts and Nevis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Kitts: Paradise Found"
- "Formerly a Sugar Island"
- "Saint Kitts and Nevis: an easy-going twin"
- "St. Kitts"
- "December 18, 2006 - Arriving in Basseterre"
- "Saint Kitts and Nevis"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Hotels in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Transportation in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Nightlife in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Restaurants in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Shopping in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- See All...
Explore the World
- Camden Hotels
- Lower Lough Erne Hotels
- Oami Hotels
- Chek Lap Kok Hotels
Badges & Stats in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- 24 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Saint Kitts and Nevis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Kitts and Nevis
Photos in Saint Kitts and NevisSee All Photos (72)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos