"St. Kitts: Paradise Found" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Kitts and Nevis by Stephen-KarenConn

Saint Kitts and Nevis Travel Guide: 305 reviews and 1,034 photos

If you want to experience the Caribbean the way it used to be, without all the touristy crowds and clutter, then come to St. Kitts. But you had better hurry. This "undiscovered" island jewell is has just begun be promoted as a tourist destination, and the hoards can't be far behind.

The first permanent European settlement on the island of St. Christopher, or St. Kitts, as it is now known, was established in 1624, although the island was already inhabited by native Carib Indians. The Carib chief granted permission to English Captain Thomas Warner to create the first settlement. The French privateer Pierre Belain d'-Esnambuc and his crew weren't far behind.

For the next 80 years or so the British and French struggled for control of the island. The 1783 Treaty of Versailles gave the British dominion over St. Kitts and it's near neighbor island, Nevis. St. Kitts became a British Crown Colony in 1877, and Nevis united with it five years later.

In 1967, the federation of St. Christopher, Nevis and Anguilla was declared a state. Shortly thereafter, Anguilla dropped out of the union and the state of St. Christopher and Nevis was declared totally independent on Sept. 19, 1983. In 1988, the name St. Christopher was officially changed to St. Kitts.

Although I had already visited more than two dozen different Caribbean islands before coming to St. Kitts, it became one of my favorite islands upon first sight. The colonial style houses of the capital city, Basseterre, give it the look of a picture-perfect West Indian port. A necklace of small villages hugs the coastline. These are surrounded by green pastures and fields of sugar cane. The center of the island is dominated by dormant volcanic peaks which rise into the clouds. Shaped like a cricket bat, St. Kitts is five miles across at the widest point and 23 miles long, with a total area of 65 square miles. The population of St. Kitts is about 40,700, with about 10,000 more people living on the nearby island of Nevis. This makes The Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis the smallest independent nation in the Western Hemisphere.

• Last visit to Saint Kitts and Nevis: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 8, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Great page about the Paradise, thanks!

• jusdenise93's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2009 at 10:58 PM

WoW! the water is so blue! I have a friend whose family is from here, I never knew how beautiful this country is. Hope to visit this place one day, and take that royal Caribbean cruise too.- jusdenise93 :)

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Really great page - brought back happy memories of the summer I spent there back in 1975. The limestone I investigated was at Brimstone Hill. See my homepage. Mike

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Your pictures are gorgeous! Makes me want to pack my bags :)

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2008 at 11:12 AM

This is my second visit to this very nice page!! Still have not been to St. Kitts or Nevis, but did receive a postcard for my collection. Hope to visit here one day!

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2007 at 12:33 PM

travel channels sweepstakes this month is a trip for 2 to St. Kitts. Figured I ought to know where I am going to win a trip to. LOL

• Jul 25, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Great information and photos of St. Kitts! You should become a member of the forum at www.myislands.myeyez.net

• marcruthpatricia's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2006 at 8:47 AM

Sir Tom Warner was my ancestor, so I hope to visit St Kitts one day

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2006 at 8:56 AM

Great information, fantastic shots. Empty beaches, sugar train and ruins of sugar cane plantations make me ready to go there. The train is a bit expensive, I'd travel across my country a few times for that money. I like: Travel Globally - Shop Locally :-)

• sof76's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2006 at 9:36 AM

Hi!! I hope your fears about St. Kitts are unfounded too!!! =) Sof

Badges & Stats in Saint Kitts and Nevis

Have you been to Saint Kitts and Nevis?

Latest Activity in Saint Kitts and Nevis