"St. Kitts: Paradise Found" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Kitts and Nevis by Stephen-KarenConn
Saint Kitts and Nevis Travel Guide: 323 reviews and 1,102 photos
If you want to experience the Caribbean the way it used to be, without all the touristy crowds and clutter, then come to St. Kitts. But you had better hurry. This "undiscovered" island jewell is has just begun be promoted as a tourist destination, and the hoards can't be far behind.
The first permanent European settlement on the island of St. Christopher, or St. Kitts, as it is now known, was established in 1624, although the island was already inhabited by native Carib Indians. The Carib chief granted permission to English Captain Thomas Warner to create the first settlement. The French privateer Pierre Belain d'-Esnambuc and his crew weren't far behind.
For the next 80 years or so the British and French struggled for control of the island. The 1783 Treaty of Versailles gave the British dominion over St. Kitts and it's near neighbor island, Nevis. St. Kitts became a British Crown Colony in 1877, and Nevis united with it five years later.
In 1967, the federation of St. Christopher, Nevis and Anguilla was declared a state. Shortly thereafter, Anguilla dropped out of the union and the state of St. Christopher and Nevis was declared totally independent on Sept. 19, 1983. In 1988, the name St. Christopher was officially changed to St. Kitts.
Although I had already visited more than two dozen different Caribbean islands before coming to St. Kitts, it became one of my favorite islands upon first sight. The colonial style houses of the capital city, Basseterre, give it the look of a picture-perfect West Indian port. A necklace of small villages hugs the coastline. These are surrounded by green pastures and fields of sugar cane. The center of the island is dominated by dormant volcanic peaks which rise into the clouds. Shaped like a cricket bat, St. Kitts is five miles across at the widest point and 23 miles long, with a total area of 65 square miles. The population of St. Kitts is about 40,700, with about 10,000 more people living on the nearby island of Nevis. This makes The Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis the smallest independent nation in the Western Hemisphere.
Nevis, the second island is this small Caribbean nation, is seperated from St. Kitts by a narrow channel of water about... more travel advice
It you're looking for fine jewelry, perfumes, liquor or luxury items you can find them in Basseterre, the capital of St.... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Saint Kitts and Nevis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Kitts: Paradise Found"
- "A New Favorite"
- "Formerly a Sugar Island"
- "Saint Kitts and Nevis: an easy-going twin"
- "December 18, 2006 - Arriving in Basseterre"
- "St. Kitts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Hotels in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Transportation in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Nightlife in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Restaurants in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Shopping in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- 24 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (175)
Have you been to Saint Kitts and Nevis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Kitts and Nevis
Photos in Saint Kitts and NevisSee All Photos (72)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos