"Moscow, Russia" Moscow by Stephen-KarenConn

Moscow Travel Guide: 4,071 reviews and 9,282 photos

I was very fortunate to travel to Moscow in November, 1988. This was in the days of Glasnost and Perestroika, before the fall of Communism. At the time I was a syndicated newspaper columnist and was invited to travel to Russia and the Ukraine with an international group of journalists on a trip sponsored by the World Media Association. We were one of the earlier groups of journalists allowed into the old Soviet Union. My assignment was to write my first hand impressions of religion as and if I discovered it in the USSR. It was to be more of a snapshot rather than a study of religion in Russia.

Since my visit to Moscow, things have changed dramatically in the Russian capitol. As time allows, I hope to dig out and scan more of the photos I took in Moscow and build a few tips for things that have not changed much since my visit.

The article I have posted in the travelogue appeared in many American newspapers in 1988, and also as a chapter in the World Media Association's Book: "Big Ships Turn Slowly: The Soviet Union in Transition."

• Intro Updated Oct 16, 2006

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2009 at 6:43 AM

You should visit it again... sure!

• Hui-Hui's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Nice page! I wish to visit Moscow by myself one day but it's dangerous to travel there alone?

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Your page brings back some nice memories. Thanks!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2008 at 9:18 AM

Yeah, I haven't been there for a long time either...Thanx for your story!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2008 at 5:10 AM

very interesting to see your 'take' on the place

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2007 at 4:43 PM

Great take on Moscow. SL :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Thanks for posting your article and photos from 1988. Do you have any plans for a return visit? I've never been there, but VT-member JLBG was there recently and said I wouldn't like it because of the ferocious automobile traffic; not a bicycle in sight.

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2007 at 7:58 PM

Russia is definitely one of my future destinations. Saint Basil Cathedral is a unique architecture with interesting sculptures.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Stephen, what a fascinating article you wrote and share with us in your travelogue. Enjoyed Saint Basil's Cathedral information, the historic statue, and the personal information about the American Embassy. Wouldn't it be interesting for you to return?

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2007 at 6:02 AM

How fortunate you were to visit Moscow at such a time. We were able to go behind the iron curtain into Warsaw and the experience was landmark. Hope to see more of your trip soon. Thanks for a nice beginning.

Badges & Stats in Moscow